IMMEDIATE - Administrative Assistant (Part-Time) - 2022/2023 School Year
Philadelphia, PA /
School Leadership and Support – Operations /
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,500 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our buildings can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery's Equity Vision:
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to achieving our mission.
We strive to be an anti-racist school district that eliminates the inequities in academic achievement that limit our students’ choices; that cultivates classrooms where every student is affirmed, supported, and held to high expectations; and that nurtures a diverse organization where students, staff, and families are valued, respected, and included.
This role is eligible for a $500 signing bonus!
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for supporting the daily operations of the schools reception area presenting a high achievement culture to all students, visitors and parents. The Administrative Assistant is ready to ask students to uphold school standards in between completing administrative tasks at the front desk. This employee will answer the phones, sort mail, file, fax, create and maintain databases and any general administrative duties as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answering general inquiries, directing and screening phone calls
- Greeting parents and visitors to the school and directing them to the appropriate location
- Creating and maintaining databases such as Excel and the School Computer Network for student records, school equipment inventory etc.
- Placing orders for departments and tracking the order process for the individual school
- Managing of office supplies for the front office
- Overseeing mailing and shipping delivery systems
- Maintaining conference room calendar and scheduling meetings as needed
- Aiding in student enrollment process for school in regards to paperwork completion and follow up phone calls
- Opening and closing of the school front reception facility
- Communicating to students with high expectations for academic achievement and appropriate behavior in and outside the classroom
- Maintaining a positive and welcoming environment for parents, visitors, coworkers and students
- General administrative duties as assigned
- Ability to relate to a diverse population of students and parents a must
- Advanced proficiency in computer skills specifically, Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and ability to learn new programs/software quickly
- Proven experience multi-tasking, organizing and prioritizing work
- Ability to handle requests and inquires and respond within a timely manner
- High attention to detail
- Performs duties with a high degree of professionalism and positive energy
Education and Experience:
- Three to five years administrative assistant experience is preferred
Mastery's Benefits Package:
We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth. Some of our most popular benefits include our 403(b) retirement plan for PA employees (with a 5% match from Mastery), enrollment in the State of New Jersey Pension Plan for NJ employees, a robust Employee Assistance Program, mental health and counseling programs, an annual Professional Development Fund, and discounts and perks at a myriad of retailers, travel organizations, insurance providers, and so much more, as well as a Benefits VIP Helpdesk to help you navigate various benefits-related topics!
Mastery's Annual Calendar:
As you plan to make Mastery your new work home, please feel free to review our PA Academic Calendar for SY 22/23 and our NJ Academic Calendar for SY 22/23. We like to think our calendar is a benefit of working here too!
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
UPDATE AS OF January 2023 - Please review Mastery’s Health and Safety Plans here to learn about our approach to vaccination and testing as well as our response to COVID-19. For ongoing positions, Mastery roles are designated as in-person, with regular on-site responsibilities, unless otherwise noted. As such, Employees must be able to support Mastery Schools’ academic plan and business strategies on-site – at a Mastery campus - as required.
Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on an individualized basis.