(PA) Elementary Literacy Support Teacher - 2020/2021 School Year
Philadelphia, PA /
Elementary School – Grade K-2 /
Full-Time 2020-21 School Year
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,000 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our building can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
The Support Teacher will work together with lead Teachers to create a warm and welcoming school culture that is driven by student achievement. Mastery is looking for urban educators who are committed to outrageously high expectations and high support for students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partner with lead teachers to implement curriculum and utilize classroom routines and procedures with consistency
- Work closely with lead teachers to analyze student assessment data and use data to inform instruction
- Provide small group instruction to students to provide responsive and individualized academic support to ensure they master content
- Collaborate in grade level teams to discuss student work, share best practices, and ensure student mastery of standards
- Engage in lesson planning and preparation to support strong execution of classroom instruction
- Actively participate in on-going training and professional development in the spirit of continuous improvement
- Provide substitute teaching coverage for colleagues, as needed
- As instructional and classroom management skills gradually increase, may be responsible for providing whole group instruction to students in select subjects (up to two whole group classes per day)
- Assist lead teacher with other student responsibilities as requested
- Additional roles and responsibilities may be assigned by supervisor
- The ability to motivate and challenge students and maintain a highly orderly classroom environment
- Receptiveness to feedback and a desire to continuously improve
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- A belief that all students should be held to high standards
- A positive attitude and a drive for personal excellence
Education and Experience:
- Associate’s degree required, Bachelor’s strongly preferred in Education or related field
- Previous classroom teaching experience required
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as maneuvering in classrooms; Standing, walking, sitting for long periods of time, speak loudly and clearly, seeing and hearing things both near and far away, stooping, kneeling, fine finger and hand manipulation in use of a computer, chalkboard, dry erase board or projector; Must be able to sit for up to two (2) hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard and mouse and typing.