(PA) High School English Teacher – 9th-12th Grade - 2020/2021 School Year
Philadelphia, PA /
High School – English /
Full-Time 2020-21 School Year
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,000 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our building can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery's Equity Vision:
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to achieving our mission.
We strive to be an anti-racist school district that eliminates the inequities in academic achievement that limit our students’ choices; that cultivates classrooms where every student is affirmed, supported, and held to high expectations; and that nurtures a diverse organization where students, staff, and families are valued, respected, and included.
This role is eligible for up to $2,000 for relocation expenses!
In joining Mastery as an English Teacher you will work with your students to foster their development in critical thinking, questioning, critiquing, and understanding the written word. It is well-documented that the opportunity gap in the United States is a literacy gap and by taking on the mantle of an English Teacher you will work daily to set our students up for long-term success and ensure they get a world-class education.
Starting in 7th Grade and continuing through 12th Grade our students engage in thematic units while learning to comprehend and analyze complex grade-level texts as required by the Common Core State Standards. Students read, analyze, and write about nonfiction, literature, and poetic texts. Your passion for literature and language arts will spur your students to discover their own voices, better understand their world, and interpret and process the feelings and experiences they live.
At Mastery we value Continuous Improvement and want you to learn and grow in your craft. We utilize a team of Assistant Principals, central-office coaches, and school-based content teams to provide every teacher coaching and feedback. We have professional development or peer collaboration time built into our calendar every Wednesday (when students are dismissed early). You will receive more than 250 hours of professional development annually and have a professional development allowance to use to further your growth.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive student achievement and set high expectations for all students
- Commit to professional growth, self-reflection, a receptiveness to feedback, and a desire to continuously improve
- Implement rigorous and appropriate lesson plans, assignments, and assessments in cooperation with Mastery school-based leadership and curricular resources developed by Mastery’s central office Academic Team
- Work closely with school leaders to analyze student assessment data to measure progress and use data to inform instruction
- Collaborate in grade level teams to discuss student work, share best practices, plan events for joy and humor, and ensure student mastery of standards
- Engage families in their children’s education by building relationships and maintaining regular communication
- Demonstrate genuine interest, belief, and care for students’ personal and academic success
- Respond positively and effectively to challenges with a solutions-oriented resiliency
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required with a record of personal, professional, and/or academic achievement
- Teacher certification - completed or in process
- Demonstrated expertise in subject area
- Outstanding instructional skills driven by data and delivered through rigorous and engaging strategies
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth.
UPDATE AS OF JULY 2020 - Please review Mastery’s Back to School Plans here to learn about our response to COVID-19 for the 2020-21 school year. For ongoing positions, Mastery roles are designated as in-person, with regular on-site responsibilities, unless otherwise noted. As such, Employees must be able to support Mastery Schools’ academic plan and business strategies on-site – at a Mastery campus - as required.
Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on an individualized basis.