High School Math Adjunct Teacher- 2022/2023 School Year
Philadelphia, PA /
Network Support – Substitute Teaching Services /
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,500 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our buildings can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery's Equity Vision:
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to achieving our mission.
We strive to be an anti-racist school district that eliminates the inequities in academic achievement that limit our students’ choices; that cultivates classrooms where every student is affirmed, supported, and held to high expectations; and that nurtures a diverse organization where students, staff, and families are valued, respected, and included.
Adjunct Teacher (AT) is a unique role, responsible for planning, organizing, and implementing Mastery instructional programming for specific courses offered at Mastery campuses. The AT is responsible for creating and fostering a participatory, student-centered, and rigorously outcomes-driven culture - committed to high expectations and high support for students. The Adjunct Teacher’s responsibilities include developing and delivering engaging lesson plans, ensuring supports and resources are available to Students, and ensuring that students’ needs are met in the learning environment. The Adjunct Teacher, a culturally competent leader, works to create a warm and welcoming school culture that is driven by equity, inclusion, access, and belonging to support learning and student achievement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement Mastery’s curriculum and instructional standards, including Culturally Responsive Teaching (CRT)
- Utilize sound classroom routines and procedures with consistency
- Develop and deliver rigorous lesson plans, homework assignments and assessments
- Use a student-centered approach to teacher and leader feedback, aligned to our vision
- Work closely with school leaders to analyze student assessment data and use data to inform instruction
- Collaborate in grade level teams to discuss student work, share best practices, and ensure student mastery of standards
- Create a classroom environment where students feel comfortable participating and learning
- Form and maintain relationships with students’ families, including phone calls and conferences
- Coordinate assessments based on departmental regulations and requirements
- Prepare students for assessments and providing helpful performance feedback
- Provide extra support to students who require it and scheduling consultation times where questions and concerns can be voiced
- Participate in on-going professional development in the spirit of continuous improvement
- Participate in up to four hours a month of Mastery professional development programming
- Complete Mastery required self-paced modules prior to the start of an assigned course
- May be noted as Teacher of Record which includes regularly updating student grades
- Assume other duties, as assigned
- Demonstrated expertise in subject area(s)
- Demonstrated ability to adjust instructional strategies in order to reach year-end goals
- The demonstrated ability to motivate and challenge students and maintain a highly orderly classroom environment
- Receptiveness to feedback and a desire to continuously improve
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- A belief that all students should be held to high standards
- A positive attitude and a drive for personal excellence
- Outstanding instructional skills, including the ability to motivate and challenge students and maintain an orderly classroom environment
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- PA: Must have or be working towards teacher certification for PA Teachers
- NJ: Teacher certification required for NJ Teachers
- Minimum of three (3) years of relevant Teaching experience, strongly preferred
- Experience teaching in an urban educational setting, a plus
- Ability to physically perform the essential duties of the role – either on-site or remotely, as required, and to work in the environmental conditions required, such as: traveling to network campuses; maneuvering in office spaces (including standing, walking, sitting for long periods of time, speaking loudly and clearly, seeing and hearing things both near and far away); stooping, kneeling, reaching file cabinets/shelves; fine finger and hand manipulation in use of computer, chalkboard, dry erase, &/or projectors; filing, faxing, scanning, coping, typing, mailing, and making phone calls; sitting for up to two (2) hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard/mouse, and typing.
- Position requires local travel to Mastery and other sites. Must have access to reliable transportation
Mastery's Benefits Package:
We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth. Some of our most popular benefits include our 403(b) retirement plan for PA employees (with a 5% match from Mastery), enrollment in the State of New Jersey Pension Plan for NJ employees, a robust Employee Assistance Program, mental health and counseling programs, an annual Professional Development Fund, and discounts and perks at a myriad of retailers, travel organizations, insurance providers, and so much more, as well as a Benefits VIP Helpdesk to help you navigate various benefits-related topics!
Mastery's Annual Calendar:
As you plan to make Mastery your new work home, please feel free to review our PA Academic Calendar for SY 22/23 and our NJ Academic Calendar for SY 22/23. We like to think our calendar is a benefit of working here too!
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
UPDATE AS OF January 2023 - Please review Mastery’s Health and Safety Plans here to learn about our approach to vaccination and testing as well as our response to COVID-19. For ongoing positions, Mastery roles are designated as in-person, with regular on-site responsibilities, unless otherwise noted. As such, Employees must be able to support Mastery Schools’ academic plan and business strategies on-site – at a Mastery campus - as required.
Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on an individualized basis.