Assistant Principal of Instruction - STEM - 2023-2024 School Year
Philadelphia, PA /
School Leadership and Support – Instruction /
Full-Time 2023-24 School Year
We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support.
Mastery Charter Schools is a nonprofit network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,500 students in Philadelphia and Camden. We are the largest turnaround school operator in the nation and have been lauded by President Obama and the US Department of Education for our ability to dramatically boost academic achievement in historically low-performing schools.
We know neighborhood schools matter, all students deserve access to a great education, and the people in our buildings can grow and develop sustainably to make the biggest impact possible in this work.
Mastery's Equity Vision:
We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to achieving our mission.
We strive to be an anti-racist school district that eliminates the inequities in academic achievement that limit our students’ choices; that cultivates classrooms where every student is affirmed, supported, and held to high expectations; and that nurtures a diverse organization where students, staff, and families are valued, respected, and included.
This role is eligible for up to $10,000 in bonuses! Roles available in both Philadelphia and Camden!
New-to-Mastery Assistant Principals can expect a starting annual salary of between $97,500-$123,000 based on years’ experience and level of education.
Mastery Schools is seeking dynamic and passionate Assistant Principals of Instruction to lead our urban school turn-around efforts in Philadelphia. As the Assistant Principal of Instruction, you lead and supervise a team of teachers in educating 700+ secondary or elementary school students. Reporting directly to the Principal, you will lead a talented and dedicated team of teachers toward creating and fostering a participatory, student-centered and rigorously outcomes-driven culture.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive and support implementation of Mastery Schools’ vision and guiding principles to ensure a positive, achievement-focused school culture for teachers, staff and students
- Lead and supervise a high-functioning team of educators focused on driving superior academic performance and fostering a high level of personal responsibility
- Supervise teachers’ instructional methods, evaluate lesson plans, provide weekly observations and professional development opportunities, and coach teachers around effective instructional strategies
- Identify students who could benefits from additional support and guide them toward supplemental educational services as necessary
- Engage parents and other community members in school activities to engender a neighborhood-centered approach to learning and development
- Support the Principal in ensuring effective collection and analysis of student performance data to identify struggling students, curriculum shortfalls, and teacher quality issues
- Manage various administration functions, including testing schedules and absenteeism needs for teachers
- Superior grasp of effective instructional and behavioral methods and strategies for educating urban youth
- Strong people and project management ability, with the proven ability to influence and enhance cooperative working relationships within a team environment
- Interest in providing only the highest quality educational experience for students and their families
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic, and rapidly-changing environment
- Ability to leverage computer software programs and other technology that will support the learning environment
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of three (3) years of demonstrated success in the classroom, preferably within an urban school setting
- Master’s Degree in Education strongly preferred
- Experience in and/or understanding of the public school system or charter schools is desirable
- Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as maneuvering in classrooms and office space-reaching file cabinets, filing, faxing, scanning, coping, typing, mailing, and making phone calls; Must be able to sit for up to two (2) hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard/mouse and typing.
Mastery's Benefits Package:
We offer a full benefits program and opportunities for professional growth. Some of our most popular benefits include our 403(b) retirement plan for PA employees (with a 5% match from Mastery), enrollment in the State of New Jersey Pension Plan for NJ employees, a robust Employee Assistance Program, mental health and counseling programs, an annual Professional Development Fund, and discounts and perks at a myriad of retailers, travel organizations, insurance providers, and so much more, as well as a Benefits VIP Helpdesk to help you navigate various benefits-related topics!
Mastery's Annual Calendar:
As you plan to make Mastery your new work home, please feel free to review our PA Academic Calendar for SY 22/23 and our NJ Academic Calendar for SY 22/23. We like to think our calendar is a benefit of working here too!
Mastery Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
UPDATE AS OF January 2023 - Please review Mastery’s Health and Safety Plans here to learn about our approach to vaccination and testing as well as our response to COVID-19. For ongoing positions, Mastery roles are designated as in-person, with regular on-site responsibilities, unless otherwise noted. As such, Employees must be able to support Mastery Schools’ academic plan and business strategies on-site – at a Mastery campus - as required.
Exceptions to this requirement will be considered on an individualized basis.