Staff Data Engineer
New York, New York
Hinge – Engineering /
Hinge is the dating app designed to be deleted
In today's digital world, finding genuine relationships is tougher than ever. At Hinge, we’re on a mission to inspire intimate connection to create a less lonely world. We’re obsessed with understanding our users’ behaviors to help them find love, and our success is defined by one simple metric– setting up great dates. With tens of millions of users across the globe, we’ve become the most trusted way to find a relationship, for all.
About the Role
As a Staff Data Engineer at Hinge, you will design, build, and support critical data platforms for our data teams and Hinge at large. The systems you help create, the problems you help solve, and the support of our analytical minds, will be pivotal to the success of Hinge.
You will be making a real impact on the data platform team and will be key to the success of Hinge. Your work will enable the organization to make data-driven decisions and drive improvements, which will affect the love lives of tons of people.
The Staff Data Engineer will identify areas where data engineering could be impactful, architect initiatives, and shepherd those initiatives to a successful delivery. You will be a leader, representing data engineering within the data platform team. This role is vital to our team and has the potential to make a lasting impact.
- Work with our data teams to ensure data is flowing accurately through data creation to our presentation layers.
- Become an advocate for the Data Engineering team by developing and championing Data Engineering practices with the team and with the company at large.
- Improve our data infrastructure through containerization, data modeling, developing our ETL pipelines, and more. Work with stakeholders and translate their needs and expectations into action items and deliverables.
- Assess opportunities for ways data infrastructure could be utilized to support the data organization.
- Lead infrastructure initiatives; from design to implementation to delivery.
- Participate in our on-call rotation.
What We’re Looking For:
- Expertise in Python, SQL, DevOps, and databases.
- Experience utilizing multiple programming paradigms, specifically functional and object-oriented.
- Expertise with data modeling, data pipelines, and data governance concepts, and agile methodologies.
- 7+ years of data engineering experience.
- Proven ability to drive initiatives and articulate their value to Engineering and other stakeholders.
- Experience delivering data products from conception to delivery.
- Great communication skills (written/verbal).
- Passionate about designing elegant data infrastructure and pipelines.
- Familiarity with our stack: Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, Kafka, Airflow, dbt, Looker, AWS technologies (S3, Redshift), GCP technologies (Dataflow, BigQuery). and CI/CD technologies (CircleCI).
$213,000 - $255,500 a year
The salary range for this position is $213,500 - $255,500. Factors such as scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate's work experience, education/training, job-related skills, internal peer equity, as well as market and business considerations may influence base pay offered. This salary range is reflective of a position based in New York City. This salary will be subject to a geographic adjustment (according to a specific city and state), if an authorization is granted to work outside of the location listed in this posting.
As a member of our team, you’ll enjoy:
401(k) Matching: We match 100% of the first 10% of pre-tax 401(k) contributions you make, up to a maximum of $10,000 per year.
Professional Growth: Get a $3,000 annual Learning & Development stipend once you’ve been with us for three months. You also get free access to Udemy, an online learning and teaching marketplace with over 6000 courses, starting your first day.
Parental Leave & Planning: When you become a new parent, you’re eligible for 100% paid parental leave (20 paid weeks for both birth and non-birth parents.)
Fertility Support: You’ll get easy access to fertility care through Carrot, from basic treatments to fertility preservation. We also provide $10,000 toward fertility preservation. You and your spouse/domestic partner are both eligible.
Date Stipend: All Hinge employees receive a $100 monthly stipend for epic dates– Romantic or otherwise. Hinge Premium is also free for employees and their loved ones.
ERGs: We have eight Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)—Asian, Unapologetic, Disability, LGBTQIA+, Vibras, Women/Nonbinary, Parents, and Remote—that hold regular meetings, host events, and provide dedicated support to the organization & its community.
At Hinge, our core values are…
Authenticity: We share, never hide, our words, actions and intentions.
Courage: We embrace lofty goals and tough challenges.
Empathy: We deeply consider the perspective of others.
Diversity inspires innovation
Hinge is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We believe success is created by a diverse workforce of individuals with different ideas, strengths, interests, and cultural backgrounds.