Engineering Manager, Backend Platforms
New York, New York, US /
Hinge – Engineering /
As a Platforms Engineering Manager you will help guide our growing team and be a leading voice in setting vision for our developing Platforms group. You will help plan and carry out initiatives to improve developer experience and efficiency while coordinating with teams across the company to ensure that everyone is making the best use of available tooling. We are expanding from 2 teams to 4 and looking for Engineering Managers to head up teams staffed with a mixture of experienced employees and open roles. The 2 teams in the process of formation will be incubated within the 2 teams that already exist until they are ready to operate independently.
Backend Platforms, Senior Engineering Manager:
This team owns areas of our backend architecture that are relied upon by feature teams across the company. We make those shared touch points more reliable and more flexible for feature development. We mainly work in Go, using AWS, Kubernetes, Terraform, Circle CI and Istio. As this team sits at the intersection
- Manage, coach, and grow an engineering team
- Contribute to prioritization, strategy, and roadmapping processes
- Work closely with feature teams, collaborating on improving developer experience and increasing velocity
- Be responsible for making our platform more reliable, observable, and automated while maintaining forward thinking flexibility.
- Remain an active learner and teacher of engineering best practices
- Contribute to IC work and projects as needed.
Engineering Managers of the Backend Platforms and Development Pipeline teams will join the on-call rotation for platform owned areas of our backend infrastructure. In order to reduce frequency of on-call rotations, we set rotations at the Platforms group level so the responsibility is shared between 3 Backend teams.
What We're Looking For:
- You have experience in software development including guiding design and delivery of multiple large-scale distributed applications
- You have experience managing engineers, or experience developing teams of engineers and a strong desire to build managerial skills.
- You can facilitate technical decision-making even in domains where you are not the expert.
- You are passionate about building a positive team culture
- You are constantly learning and re-evaluating previous assumptions.
- You value repeatability, resilience, observability, and operational simplicity.
- You are skilled in moving forward initiatives that require buy in from many stakeholders.
The salary range for this position is $191,500 - $229,000. Factors such as scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate's work experience, education/training, job-related skills, internal peer equity, as well as market and business considerations may influence base pay offered. This salary range is reflective of a position based in New York City. This salary will be subject to a geographic adjustment (according to a specific city and state), if an authorization is granted to work outside of the location listed in this posting.
Hinge is the dating app designed to be deleted. In today’s digital world, singles are so focused on sending likes and looking through profiles that they’re not actually building meaningful connections and finding relationships. Hinge is on a mission to change that by designing the most effective app experience. On Hinge, there are no rules, timers, or games. Instead, you’ll have unique conversations over the text, photos, and audio you’ve shared on your profile. And it’s resonating with daters. Currently we’re setting up a date every three seconds.
- Authenticity: Share your genuine thoughts and opinions directly.
- Courage: Invite and deeply consider challenges and criticism.
- Empathy: Be empathetic, communitarian and trustworthy.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.