Corporate Counsel （法務担当）
Tokyo, Japan /
Match Group – Legal /
Match Group is seeking a motivated and talented in-house legal counsel to join the Match Group Business Affairs and Legal team. This position will be based in Tokyo and will provide day-to-day legal support to our global brands under the Match Group umbrella, with a primary focus on our Pairs and Tinder brands in Japan and the East Asia region.
Match Group is a NASDAQ-listed company (MTCH) and a leading provider of dating products available globally. Our portfolio includes Pairs®, Tinder®, Match®, Meetic, OkCupid, Hinge, PlentyOfFish and others, each designed to help singles find a meaningful connection.
Position Functions Include:
- Draft, revise and negotiate various marketing, technology and other commercial agreements, including sponsorship, content production and promotion, advertising and media buying agreements, basic IT outsourcing.
- Support rolling out of product features and initiatives across multiple Match Group brands, advising on compliance with local laws (consumer protection laws, telecommunications business act, etc.).
- Work closely with internal marketing, product, customer service, communications, and other business teams to achieve desired business outcomes while minimizing legal risk.
- Assist in handling litigation and other law enforcement matters, and legal filings/notifications (with external counsel as may be needed).
- Assist in routine company management requirements (e.g. general meetings, corporate governance filings); compliance with the law regulating subcontracts (shitauke hou)
- Assist in administration of corporate policies and procedures, such as vendor security, privacy compliance and contract approval.
- Assist in setting up processes and providing training to the business teams.
- Provide other legal support as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Formal legal education (LL.B., LL.M., and/or JD) is required. Candidates admitted to practice law in Japan or other established legal jurisdictions will have added advantage.
- 2-3 years’ experience in substantive legal work required, with in-house legal department experience preferred, prior experience in consumer-facing or internet industries is a bonus.
- Bilingual: native level Japanese and business level English (both written and spoken) required.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills, attention to details, strong sense of ownership and accountability.
- Naturally business-friendly approach to legal problem-solving and able to provide clear, effective and concise practical advice, as well as creative ‘out of the box’ solutions.
- Be naturally curious and possess a strong desire to learn the business and new areas of the law.
- Thrive in new or challenging situations and be able to simultaneously manage multiple demands and shifting priorities within a fast-paced, and rapidly evolving environment.
What’s the team like?
- Our global team is highly collaborative and you will work with cross-functional teams, across cultures, borders and languages, our legal department is proud to inspire confidence amongst our business colleagues in a high growth business with an approachable, friendly and patient demeanor.
- Successful individuals on this team are strategic, creative thinkers and problem solvers with the ability to work both independently, and also work collaboratively across borders and cultures. They are self-motivated team players, with high integrity, and possess strong fact-finding, drafting, negotiating, writing, and research skills.
We value diversity at our company and will never discriminate based on someone’s race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.