Senior Machine Learning Engineer, Machine Learning (Platform)
Palo Alto, California, US /
Tinder – Engineering /
As humans, there are few things more exciting than meeting someone new. At Tinder, we’re inspired by the challenge of keeping the magic of human connection alive. With tens of millions of users, hundreds of millions of downloads, 2+ billion swipes per day, 20+ million matches per day, and a presence in 190+ countries, our reach is expansive—and rapidly growing.
We work together to solve complex problems. Behind the simplicity of every match, we think deeply about human relationships, behavioral science, network economics, AI and ML, online and real-world safety, cultural nuances, loneliness, love, sex, and more.
• Member Safety: Our top priority is to build an authentic, equitable, and respectful community
• Diversity: We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members
• Authenticity + Collaboration: We encourage authenticity to nurture a trustworthy, collaborative environment
• Big Ideas: We champion and rally behind big ideas, empowering people to to think and act differently and to be unafraid of having a strong point of view
• Innovation: We never stand still; we’re inspired to build for what’s next, and we must constantly innovate, experiment, and learn
The Engineering team is responsible for building innovative features and resilient systems that bring people together. We're always experimenting with new features to engage with our members. Although we are a high-scale tech company, the member-to-engineer ratio is very high—making the level of impact each engineer gets to have at Tinder enormous.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to help us define and build the next generation of ML platform at Tinder. Our mission is to enable every team at Tinder to iterate quickly on hypotheses and scale their experiments to data sets with hundreds of billions of data points. In this role, you will work closely with many of the ML teams at Tinder.
Note: This role is for a platform engineering team. This team does not build ML models for specific applications. The team is focused on the platform that helps our customers do machine learning and data science at scale. Experience with ML or data platforms is helpful in understanding our customer use cases, but this team will not do any applied ML modeling.
In this role, you will:
- Build highly scalable feature-serving systems that can do the heavy lifting of feature processing
- Build online model serving systems
- Lead architectural and design discussions, ensuring our platform is performant, fault-tolerant, and maintainable
- Collaborate with cross-functional agile teams of software engineers, data engineers, ML experts, and others in building new product features
- Gain a working knowledge of various models used by our stakeholders on both structured and unstructured content (text, video, images, behavioral data, etc)
- Software Engineer with at least 5 years of professional experience with backend systems
- You have development experience with some programming languages such as Golang/Java/Python
- You have previously built APIs and libraries for Golang, Java or Python
- You care about agile software processes, data-driven development, reliability, and responsible experimentation
- You preferably have experience with big data processing and storage frameworks like Kafka, Flink
- You understand basic concepts of ML such as regression, classification, clustering, training, testing, validation, measurement
- You are a skilled communicator, and a team player and have a proven record of leading work across disciplines
Nice to have:
- Industry experience with feature store and feature serving system
- Industry experience with big data processing and storage frameworks like Kafka, Flink or Spark
- Industry experience with ML systems using frameworks such as Scikit-learn and Tensorflow
As a full-time employee, you’ll enjoy:
- Unlimited PTO (with no waiting period), 10 annual Wellness Days
- Time off to volunteer and charitable donations matched up to $15,000 annually
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental coverage
- 100% 401(k) employer match up to 10%, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- 100% paid parental leave (including for non-birthing parents) and family forming benefits
- Investment in your development: mentorship through our MentorMatch program, access to 6,000+ online courses through Udemy, and an annual $3,000 stipend for your professional development
- Investment in your wellness: access to mental health support via Modern Health, paid concierge medical membership, pet insurance, fitness membership subsidy, and commuter subsidy
- $500 work-from-home stipend to set you up for remote work
- Free subscription to Tinder Gold
The salary range for this position is $170,000 - $210,000. Factors such as scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate's work experience, education/training, job-related skills, internal peer equity, as well as market and business considerations may influence base pay offered. This salary range is reflective of a position based in Palo Alto, California. This salary will be subject to a geographic adjustment (according to a specific city and state), if an authorization is granted to work outside of the location listed in this posting.
Commitment to Inclusion
At Tinder, we don’t just accept difference, we celebrate it. We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members around the world, and we value unique perspectives and backgrounds. Even if you don’t meet all the listed qualifications, we invite you to apply and show us how your skills could transfer. Tinder is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we welcome people of all sexes, gender identities, races, ethnicities, disabilities, and other lived experiences. Learn more here: https://www.lifeattinder.com/dei