Staff Research Scientist (Speech Recognition)
Palo Alto, CA /
At Matician, our goal is to save people time and energy through automation. Individuals spend on average 10+ hours weekly doing mundane tasks in their home. We are using Level 5 Autonomy and mobility to reimagine home devices in order to give people this time back. We build and ship great products that solve real problems for people we love. Our mission-driven and tight-knit group values learning and curiosity in a high-risk, high-reward culture.
We're looking for a seasoned deep learning engineer with experience in NLP and speech recognition to join us (pre-launch) to design on-device speech command for our robots to intelligently interact with people.
What you'll do
- Lead the core build of our speech-to-text system from the ground up
- Design neural networks to support strictly on-device processing of speech command
- Enable speech-to-text system to work flawlessly on a moving robot, considering proximity noise sources
- Research, develop and launch speech processing algorithms and implementations (e.g. LSTM, RNN, Transformers)
- Collaborate with Hardware, Software, and Algorithms teams to bring product vision to life
- Work relentlessly and with rigorous deadlines to delight our users, enabling direct communication with their autonomous robot
What we look for
- BS, MS, or PhD + 4 years of experience
- Robust machine learning background in speech and language (text/dialogue) processing
- Familiarity implementing DSP algorithms (within hardware environment preferred)
- Track record of product-focused research, applied to real world applications
- Fluency with Python (PyTorch or similar tools), Rust, or C
- Comfort with fast-paced, startup atmosphere -- you don’t shy away from the hard work
- High level of maturity, ownership, and pride in your work
We'd love to hear from you if...
- You are genuinely motivated to help those around you
- You are passionate about learning outside of your normal comfort zones
- You love diagnosing complex technical issues
- You are excited to do great work
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about this opportunity at Matician! Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people who are keen to learn and are passionate about what Matician is building. We want to hear how you can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just the above boxes.