Development Team Leader
Option for Flexible Work Pattern
Matillion, a company with all 5-star customer product reviews on AWS Marketplace and all 5-star employee reviews on Glassdoor; are expanding the teams across all functions globally. As a company we are confident without arrogance, customer obsessed and care about our people and communities. With rapid growth underway for 2019, we are looking for people to join Matillion who share our integrity, drive, and passion.
Within our Altrincham office, we are looking for a Development Team Leader to join #TeamGreen.
Matillion is built around small development teams with responsibility for specific themes and initiatives. The Team Lead role is to provide a central voice for the team and to ensure that the team is creating and delivering high quality software. The Team Leader is principally a software developer, but has responsibility for the smooth running of a development team and the coaching and development of its individual members.
Technical Authority on the themes and initiatives owned by the team
- Ensures long term stability of the software, test packs and documentation.
- Represents the team in feature and initiative planning sessions and provides expert feedback on new ideas
- Takes lead on developing new architecture and designs across the company to ensure cohesive but loosely coupled solutions
- Curates the team backlog to ensure the team are always working on the highest priority items
- Working with the senior engineers to refine tickets to promote a manageable size
- Code reviews for team and other teams
- Working with the infrastructure and automation teams to identify needs and align efforts for required solutions
- A Software Team Lead is expected to spend a majority of their time hands-on in the production of software for Matillion products
- Discuss, establish and maintain the design patterns, framework selections and direction of the codebase
- Solve almost any type of problem with little supervision
- Provide engineering options, with unbiased pros and cons to meet problems shared by the business
- Develop UI according to mockups following UX guidelines
- Research projects, including prototyping, to explore future opportunities
- Working with product and test to refine and break down stories to levels implementable by development
- Development and improvements in confirmation testing (unit test, API test, automation, etc.)
- Work closely with members of the business teams to ensure customer-centric development of features
- Actively contribute to the process of continual improvement, with regard to self, team and systems
- The prompt prioritisation and processing by the team of incoming bugs according to strategy
- Ensuring responsive support to the customer-facing colleagues
- Status reporting back to customer-facing colleagues
- Recognition of problems and recasting difficult-to-solve problems in order to find unique and innovative solutions
- Developing new skills within the team through coaching and delegation
- Identifying and feeding back areas of improvement and strengths and being knowledgeable about the team
- Encouraging others to partake in technical discussions and increasing team inquisitiveness
- Advise and encourage both on the job development and external development opportunities
- Explain, demonstrate and engage fellow team members in ‘doing the right thing’ guided by the values of Matillion
- Facilitating learning lunches, release planning and debrief sessions
- Holding retrospectives and identifying themes for change or improvement
- Establish recruiting needs within the team to ensure balance of upcoming talent and experience
- Participate in the complete recruitment process
- Perform effective one-to-ones with direct reports and supporting with regular, effective one-to-one discussions across the development team
- Manage team performance and identify appropriate controls and measures for employee engagement
Functional or Technical Knowledge and Skills Required - Essential
- Demonstrable Java programming ability with in-depth understanding of underpinning techniques
- Proven ability of tackling challenging projects
- Demonstrable knowledge of Databases and query languages (SQL)
- Experience in full software development life cycle from design to deployment using agile methodologies such as Kanban and Scrum
- Object Oriented Design and Programming
Functional or Technical Knowledge and Skills Required - Desirable
- 2:1 degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or similar technical degree
- Experience leading an agile team in a technology company
- Experience in hiring a development team
- Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure knowledge
- Redshift, Snowflake, BigQuery, JUnit, GWT, Maven, Jenkins, Linux, Scripting for CLI, CICD, tool automation, etc
Find out more about Matillion
Our purpose-built data transformation products for Amazon Redshift, Google BigQuery, and Snowflake are trusted by over 500+ businesses all over the world, including GE, Siemens, Converse and Citrix, making us an industry leader. Businesses are generating more data than ever before, across a variety of source systems. They need new and more efficient ways of consolidating and transforming your data sources in order to make better, more informed decisions and in turn, gain competitive advantage. Matillion helps businesses of all sizes handle the variety, volume, and velocity of their data, by transforming data across various sources into cloud data warehouses.
When we hire at Matillion, we hire people not roles. We are interested in growing our team whilst protecting our culture, with dedicated and passionate individuals who share our values. The Matillion values are the same across all roles, functions, and geographies.
1. We are Confident without Arrogance: We take pride in what we do but we stay humble.
2. We work with Integrity: We have a strong moral compass; we are transparent, and we hold ourselves accountable.
3. We are Customer Obsessed: We will always go above and beyond, to listen to, acknowledge and value our customers.
4. We Innovate and Demand Quality: We believe no product, process or individual is finished.
5. We have a Bias for Action: We get things done...in a considered way
6. We Care about our People and our Communities: We treat people how we would like to be treated
We are keen to hear from prospective employees, so please apply and a member of our People Operations team will be in touch!