As company builders turned investors, we know the startup ecosystem from all angles. We've been doing this for 40+ years and have seen many trends come and go. Our focus on company building and long-term relationships with founders endures—because we care about them and their success is ultimately what matters. We're excited by good ideas that, when supported properly, can make a big impact in the world. We find these ideas by rejecting conventional wisdom, spotting potential early, and having the conviction to back founders before it's evident to everyone else.
About the role
We are looking to bring on an Investment Partner. In this role, you will source and evaluate technology startups for investment. Often, the company at that point will consist of little more than a founder with an idea or a prototype. We think those who do well in this job develop unique, high-trust relationships with strong founders. The Investment Partner will work side by side with each of the partners at Matrix, spending time to understand their areas of expertise and work to support them collectively. Additionally, you will be expected to form your own investment thesis, debate this thesis in the larger group, then engage, diligence, champion, advise, and help the highest-potential startups in that area. You should be extremely comfortable evaluating technology projects independently. We will teach you the rest – valuation metrics, term sheets, Board meetings, etc.
Our goal is that people who start in this role will over time grow into senior leaders in the firm.
- Technical background, e.g. computer science degree or self-taught. You have built products in the past.
- 1-3 years of experience in a product role (engineering, design, product management) at a high-growth technology company.
- Deeply embedded in the startup world.
- Unique perspective, experience, or subject matter expertise that makes founders seek you out and helps you win in competitive situations.
- You thrive in an ambiguous environment with no playbook.
- Ability (and energy) to create high-quality online content. Can build a presence and voice online.
- Source and engage extraordinary startups for Matrix to back.
- Conduct deep primary research for due diligence purposes, leveraging industry expert references, prospective customer calls, and data analysis.
- Present complex concepts with incomplete information in a digestible and actionable format to aid in decision-making.
- Form your own, independent opinion and debate it vigorously in the partnership.