Data Engineer (Remote)
Toronto, ON /
Business Operations /
Mattermost is the industry’s leading open-source enterprise-grade messaging platform. Customers including Intel, Ubisoft, Samsung, Cigna, BNP, European Commission, Social Security Administration, and Affirm use Mattermost to enable their teams to collaborate securely and privately anywhere. Many of the world’s leading privacy-conscious enterprises like The US Department of Defense work better by connecting people, tools, and automation to increase developer collaboration using Mattermost. Our private cloud messaging platform offers secure, configurable, highly scalable messaging using web, mobile, and desktop applications and provides deep integrations with hundreds of SaaS and on-premises tools and applications.
We value high impact work, ownership, self-awareness and being focused on customer success. If these values match who you are, we hope you'll learn more about working at Mattermost and apply!
Mattermost is a data-driven organization, and we are looking for a best-in-class Data Engineer to ensure the stability and evolution of our data engineering infrastructure. Our ideal candidate is skilled at and genuinely passionate about data engineering, wants to learn how our data interconnects, and is enthusiastic about helping the business make sense of it all. You will be part of the Business Operations team focused on enabling Mattermost to consume and analyze data, maintaining a high performing infrastructure, ensuring data security and quality, and developing self-service analytics frameworks.
- Design, deploy, and maintain best-in-class data infrastructure (Snowflake, Airflow, dbt, EKS, etc.)
- Manage the development and operation of high-volume data pipelines to enable the business to make data-driven decisions
- Partner with the Analytics team to build data models that are actionable for the business
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering teams to ensure that new products and features are instrumented to capture product usage data/telemetry
- Build and maintain data-driven applications that enable business process automation and support business operations
- Effectively work while remote, with the ability to travel 2-3 times per year for week-long off-site meetings with team members
- 4+ years experience designing, implementing, and maintaining data infrastructure/data warehouse
- 4+ years experience using Python
- 4+ years experience developing business-critical applications
- Experience with ETL and architecting data systems
- Experience with schema design, data modeling and SQL queries
- Solid understanding of REST and building scalable APIs
- Be able to work well with a team composed of cross-functional roles
- Be able to proactively communicate well, both written and verbally
- Experience with Rudderstack, dbt, Snowflake, and Looker
- Degree in Computer Science or related
- Experience working in open source communities
Mattermost is a remote-first company with staff living and working across the globe. We are currently hiring staff in these countries/regions:
Australia - Canada - Chile - Finland - Georgia - Germany - India - Mauritius - Philippines - Poland - South Africa - Turkey - Ukraine - Uganda - United Kingdom - United States
We are constantly working towards adding more countries/regions to this list, but first we need to make sure we are compliant with local laws and regulations, which takes time.
Mattermost is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people from all walks of life. We don't discriminate against staff or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!