Director of Marketing
Mattermost, Inc. is the company behind the Mattermost open source project, a fast-growing workplace messaging solution used by thousands of companies. Our vision is a world more connected to what matters most, and our mission is to give every organization the power to achieve their highest priorities through modern communication.
Your work impacts thousands of organizations who depend on Mattermost for daily operations, from high tech (Intel, Samsung, Micron), to healthcare (Medtronic, Epic, Bristol-Myers Squibb) to public sector (U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Department of Energy), to education (University of California, National University of Singapore), and consumer brands (Urban Outfitters, Wargaming.net). Headquartered in Palo Alto, California, our company serves customers around the world with a distributed organization spanning 7 time zones. More on us at www.mattermost.com.
We value high impact work, ownership, being proud of what we build and being focused on customer success. If these values match who you are, we hope you'll learn more about working at Mattermost and come talk to us!
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As the director of marketing you'll work closely with the company CEO, founders and senior leadership team to play a pivotal role in growing Mattermost as a product, an open source project and as a company.
Note: Due to the volume of applications received, we can only respond to the most qualified applicants. Thank you for your understanding.
Top 10 reasons to work for Mattermost:
- Do the best work of your career: Join like-minded people with high standards and outstanding talent
- Work remotely: No commute, plus complete control of your environment and freedom to travel
- Be recognized: Working in open source, your contributions are publicly visible and will echo on throughout your career
- Growth: Join a growing product, a growing community and a growing company
- Make something people want: Hear from organizations around the world who love using your product
- Improve a product you use every day: Your opinion matters
- Focus on results: Output matters, not hours worked. Enjoy life and don't burn out
- Learn, Master, Teach: Building new skills, becoming experts and training others is core to our culture
- Friends around the world: Build relationships with staff and contributors in dozens of countries
- Product marketing including messaging, positioning, value proposition development, branding and web presence
- Sales collateral including web content, presentations, data sheets, demo kits, white papers, case studies and references
- Go-to-market strategy and programs including events, promotions and marketing partnerships
- Communication and content marketing programs including release announcements, blog posts, social media, guest articles
- Press and analyst programs including preparation, outreach and delivery of briefings
- Web direct business including analytics, reporting, funnel optimization including split testing
- Team development including definition of new marketing roles, recruiting, interviewing, managing, and training
- Vendor and virtual team management including definition of projects, contract roles and partnerships, sourcing, development and management
- Deep experience as a product marketer, defining a product's messaging, positioning, value proposition and brand
- Extraordinary written and spoken communication, you should be a natural story teller
- Comfort working in a high performance, fast-moving start-up environment, switching seamlessly between player and coach
- Experience hiring and training teams of individual contributors
- Ability to work effectively in remote environments with 5-15% travel for team off-sites, conferences and customer or partner meetings
- A history of sourcing and managing efficient, high quality vendors
- Past success leading marketing for either a web direct or enterprise sales business line (preferably both)
- Interest in Mattermost and open source software
- Preferred experience with workplace messaging and private cloud software
- You share our values of customer obsession, ownership, having high impact and being proud of what you build
Applicants for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that applicants can be declined from the position at any stage of the process.
1. Qualified applicants will be invited to interview with our recruiter, who will ask basic questions such as:
- Why are you interested in Mattermost?
- What is your knowledge of industry trends in the Mattermost space?
- How do you see the workplace messaging space changing over the coming years from a marketing perspective? (i.e. competitive positioning, customer needs, etc)
2. Selected candidates will be invited to interview with our head of product
3. Next, candidates will be invited to interview with our CEO
4. Final interview will be conducted by a member of the board of advisers
Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer via email. Read our core team handbook to learn more about working at Mattermost.