Legal Counsel (Remote)
Palo Alto /
Mattermost is the industry’s leading open-source enterprise-grade messaging platform. Customers including Intel, Ubisoft, Samsung, Cigna, BNP, European Commission, Social Security Administration, and Affirm use Mattermost to enable their teams to collaborate securely and privately anywhere. Many of the world’s leading privacy-conscious enterprises like The US Department of Defense work better by connecting people, tools, and automation to increase developer collaboration using Mattermost. Our private cloud messaging platform offers secure, configurable, highly scalable messaging using web, mobile, and desktop applications and provides deep integrations with hundreds of SaaS and on-premises tools and applications.
We value high impact work, ownership, self-awareness and being focused on customer success. If these values match who you are, we hope you'll learn more about working at Mattermost and apply!
We are looking to hire our first in-house legal counsel. The right candidate will be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment, grow with our business, and ultimately help build and develop our internal legal processes to assist our global staff. This critical legal counsel hire plays a key role in the organization, coordination, and management of our legal function while working closely with all other departments at Mattermost as well as external counsel. The role will report directly to VP Finance and Operations.
- Be a key member of the deal desk process by drafting, negotiating, and concluding commercial software licensing agreements and other legal contracts with our customers and channel partners in the U.S. and worldwide
- Be a key member of the procurement process by drafting, negotiating, and concluding purchase agreements with vendors
- Serve as a key member of the team designing, monitoring and improving our contracts and our legal, sales and corporate practices
- Prioritize, organize, and manage legal projects, as well as other day-to-day legal matters including corporate governance and compliance initiatives
- Work closely with external counsel in specific areas such as open source, IP, privacy security and employment counsel
- Actively monitor relevant legal and regulatory developments
- JD from accredited U.S. law school; licensed to practice law in at least one U.S. state
- At least four years of professional experience at a law firm and/or a legal department of an international software company. The ideal candidate will have at least 2 years at a respected law firm plus at least two years in an in-house legal counsel position
- A keen understanding of issues relevant to copyright, software licensing, and software-as-a-service
- Demonstrable direct client/customer negotiation experience
- Great people, listening and communication skills; you are able to communicate effectively to different internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to thrive in a remote-first work environment
- Flexibility in your working hours to ensure smooth communication within our distributed organization
- Proficient user of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Familiarity with basic revenue recognition rules is a plus
Mattermost is a remote-first company with staff living and working across the globe. We are currently hiring staff in these countries/regions:
Canada - Chile - Finland - Georgia - Germany - India - Mauritius - Philippines - Poland - South Africa - Turkey - Ukraine - United Kingdom - United States
We are constantly working towards adding more countries/regions to this list, but first we need to make sure we are compliant with local laws and regulations, which takes time.
Mattermost is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people from all walks of life. We don't discriminate against staff or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!