Flight Test Technician
Matternet is looking for a passionate and motivated Test Flight Technician to join Matternet’s Vehicle Team. You will report directly to our Lead Systems Engineer in order to push the limits of our prototypes and certify our production assets for the field. You will primarily work out of our Flight Test Facility in Pescadero to put as many hours and tests on our current and future vehicle as possible. This is a mission-critical role as it is the last step of production or in-development UAVs to establish their airworthiness and the first step in our field operations.
If you love the idea of spending the day outside and putting as much flight time as possible on our vehicles as possible, this is for you.
- Fly! Fly! Fly!
- Perform UAS Flight Test Protocol
- Develop, execute, and review Flight Test Datasheets and Plans
- Record behaviors to help drive Product Quality Improvement Projects
- Use technical memos, reports, and presentations to communicate results and recommendations to cross-functional teams (Business, Design, Engineering, and Operations)
- Participate in root cause analysis and post-test data reviews
- Provide real-time decisions regarding safety, efficiency, and effectiveness
- Frequent travel between Pescadero Flight Test Site and Mountain View HQ required
- Some domestic travel may be required to other Matternet sites
- Experience in test planning, readiness reviews, and/or safety briefings.
- A diligent nature in following safety procedures. This role validates UAVs which will fly over people and are therefore required to possess a high degree of reliability.
- Good technical understanding of quad-copter basics and problem-solving skills required for accurate reporting of issues as well as resolving elementary blockers.
- Ability and willingness to work at a semi-remote test site either alone or in a small team
- 2-4 years of hands-on experience executing test plans in highly controlled environments
- Current, or ability to obtain, FAA Part 107 certification (First 2-week expectation)
- Familiarity piloting remote-controlled multi-rotor vehicles
- Understand autopilots, companion computers, and dynamic electromechanical system behavior
- AA degree in a technical discipline
Matternet is the developer of the world’s leading technology platform for on-demand aerial delivery in urban environments. The company provides its technology platform as a service to healthcare, e-commerce and logistics organizations. In March 2017, Matternet became the first company in the world to be authorized for full operations of drone logistics networks over densely populated areas in Switzerland. Since then, Matternet has executed over 3,000 flights in Zurich, Bern and Lugano. In May 2018, Matternet was selected to carry out drone logistics operations for US hospitals under the FAA's drone integration program. In March 2019, Matternet and UPS announced a partnership to provide drone delivery services to US healthcare systems, starting from WakeMed Health in NC. Matternet is based in Mountain View, CA and has 50 employees. Matternet's investors include Boeing, Daimler, Swiss Post and Sony. For more information, visit https://mttr.net
Selected Matternet press:
Fast Company: https://www.fastcompany.com/90324754/the-countrys-first-regular-commercial-drone-delivery-is-here
MIT technology review: https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/613255/the-first-commercial-drone-delivery-scheme-in-the-us-is-already-flying/
We're an equal opportunity employer.