Reliability and Flight Assurance Lead
Mountain View, California
Matternet is looking for an experienced reliability engineer to help drive safety, quality, and flight assurance across multiple disciplines. Autonomous Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) systems flying in urban locations combine the toughest challenges of automated robotics as well as aerospace and the suitable candidate is expected to be experienced with both these areas. If you want to solve cutting edge systems problems that help establish a new mode of transport, this job is for you.
As a reliability engineer, you will start from flight safety and system availability expectations to identify gaps in technologies as well as analyze risks in subsystems that gate Matternet from meeting these goals. You will be able to execute these analyses and tests with minimal oversight to satisfy internal milestones, and effectively communicate system reliability to external stakeholders and regulatory bodies. This is a hands-on role that will require a significant amount of time in the field testing vehicle systems, as well as the execution of bench tests, design, and fabrication.
- Analyze customer and regulatory reliability requirements for Matternet's drone logistics systems
- Identify system elements (single fault failures) early in the validation process
- Own all three aspects of reliability: design, build and operate, across the product development and operations teams at Matternet. This would include human factors risk analysis in flight operations
- Own and manage internal and supplier driven non-conformances (NCs) and CAPAs, ensuring timely containment actions, corrections, root cause investigation, implementation of corrective actions, and closure
- Work with hardware and software teams to develop product specifications, safety and reliability requirements, and roadmaps to meet those requirements
- Evaluate components and systems against safety and reliability requirements
- Develop processes for screening components and systems during the build process as well as incoming inspections for vendor-supplied components
- Provide support with tools like FMEA, Fault tree analysis and risk matrix to confirm product safety and reliability
- Manage incident investigations in collaboration with regulatory agencies such as FAA, FOCA, etc.
- 6+ years of experience in reliability engineering in complex interdisciplinary products
- BS/MS in an engineering field with emphasis on systems reliability
- Strong understanding of reliability engineering including calculation of risk, MTBF of components and software validation testing
- Strong statistics ability and use of methods such as DOE, ANOVA, regression, etc.
- Knowledge of industry-standard testing such as HALT, ASTM, DO-160, etc.
- Experience performing reliability & type testing in the following areas: mechanical stress tests, shock/vibration, environmental, and thermal.
- Highly motivated and able to deliver high-quality results with no oversight
- Experience with manned/unmanned flight vehicles
- Experience dealing with regulatory bodies
Matternet is the developer of the world’s leading technology platform for on-demand aerial delivery in urban environments. The company provides its technology platform as a service to healthcare, e-commerce and logistics organizations. In March 2017, Matternet became the first company in the world to be authorized for full operations of drone logistics networks over densely populated areas in Switzerland. Since then, Matternet has executed over 3,000 flights in Zurich, Bern and Lugano. In May 2018, Matternet was selected to carry out drone logistics operations for US hospitals under the FAA's drone integration program. In March 2019, Matternet and UPS announced a partnership to provide drone delivery services to US healthcare systems, starting from WakeMed Health in NC. Matternet is based in Mountain View, CA and has 50 employees. Matternet's investors include Boeing, Daimler, Swiss Post and Sony. For more information, visit https://mttr.net
Selected Matternet press:
Fast Company: https://www.fastcompany.com/90324754/the-countrys-first-regular-commercial-drone-delivery-is-here
MIT technology review: https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/613255/the-first-commercial-drone-delivery-scheme-in-the-us-is-already-flying/
We're an equal opportunity employer.