Senior Mechatronics Engineer
Mountain View, California
Matternet is looking for a highly motivated candidate to join our growing Station Engineering team and report to our Head of Station. You will be part of a cross-functional agile development team with direct responsibility for system mechatronic/robotic design. You will lead engineers in the mechatronic/robotic system architecture and design of novel custom mechatronic/robotic systems. This includes complex mechanisms, electromechanical actuation of various flavors, and lots of supporting accouterment (embedded systems, control schemes, sensor technology selection, and development, etc.). You will be a recognized expert in mechatronic/robotic design. Expect domestic travel around 10%-15% to support design and installation efforts with our customers.
You live for:
- Doing the math. You passed the classes, now put it to practice!
- Developing complex multi-discipline systems as part of a cross-functional team
- Driving the detail design of mechatronic/robotic systems - getting the details right
-Producing efficient, innovative, and optimized mechatronic/robotic solutions
-Designing and building a proof of concepts for novel designs - then seeing them through to production release
-Actively participating in your designs come to life, picking up a wrench and building the system you designed
- MSME/EE Robotics/Mechatronics, 8+ years of relevant experience
- Skilled at developing innovative mechatronic/robotic systems
- Expert at bringing up hardware and debugging embedded systems
- Expert at in-circuit debugging, oscilloscopes, etc.
- Experience with standard embedded communication protocols; I2C, SPI, UART, BLE, and CAN
- Strong working knowledge of RTOS
- Demonstrated competence in Python, C, C++
- Mentors junior engineers and provides technical guidance to the larger team
- Embraces ownership of the product development from inception to production release
- Contributes regularly to the product definition and design in partnership with Product Design, Operations, Sales, R&D, and partner engineering teams to deliver successful product design and launch
- Participate in the generation and review of intellectual property
- Equally comfortable around a CNC mill, laser cutter, and other shop tools
- PhD ME/EE Robotics/Mechatronics, 10+ years of demonstrable success in the development of complex mechatronic systems
- Demonstrable skills at system modeling and simulation - sizing of motors, mechanisms, and other dynamic components
- Expert skills at developing state machines, control schema, motion control systems
Matternet is the developer of the world’s leading technology platform for on-demand aerial delivery in urban environments. The company provides its technology platform as a service to healthcare, e-commerce and logistics organizations. In March 2017, Matternet became the first company in the world to be authorized for full operations of drone logistics networks over densely populated areas in Switzerland. Since then, Matternet has executed over 3,000 flights in Zurich, Bern and Lugano. In May 2018, Matternet was selected to carry out drone logistics operations for US hospitals under the FAA's drone integration program. In March 2019, Matternet and UPS announced a partnership to provide drone delivery services to US healthcare systems, starting from WakeMed Health in NC. Matternet is based in Mountain View, CA and has 50 employees. Matternet's investors include Boeing, Daimler, Swiss Post and Sony. For more information, visit https://mttr.net
Selected Matternet press:
Fast Company: https://www.fastcompany.com/90324754/the-countrys-first-regular-commercial-drone-delivery-is-here
MIT technology review: https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/613255/the-first-commercial-drone-delivery-scheme-in-the-us-is-already-flying/
We're an equal opportunity employer.