Senior GNC Engineer
Menlo Park, California, USA
Matternet is looking for a Senior GNC Engineer to join our team focused on the next paradigm in autonomous aerial transportation using Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV). This role will focus on developing our flight control algorithms, state estimators, enhanced features like detect and avoid, precision landing and take-off system, increasing efficiency for longer range flights, and improve safety systems. Since autonomous UAVs are an evolving field, the ability to rapidly learn new technologies and integrate these into product roadmaps will be a key function performed by this role.
- Architect GNC control algorithms and develop a dynamics and control model that allows accurate Software-in-the-loop (SITL) simulations
- Maintain and provide support for Matternet’s existing open source flight-related embedded systems software (e.g. Matternet’s fork of Ardupilot)
- Investigate and diagnose flight-related and other issues by analyzing logs, performing experiments and simulations where needed.
- Draw upon knowledge of the software, control systems, GNC, aerospace, embedded systems, electrical, RF, and mechanical engineering fields to recommend technology solutions to optimize UAV control.
- Evaluate emerging technologies, sensors and controller updates to improve vehicle control in all phases of flight as well as reliability at the systems level.
- Develop and analyze guidance, navigation and autopilot algorithms.
- A minimum of 6 years experience writing software in C, Python or C++
- A minimum of 5 years experience with dynamics, control theory & state estimators for 6 DOF aircraft, such as EKF, UKF etc.
- Degree related to dynamics and controls
- Developing safety critical software systems in compliance with certification requirements like DO-178C etc.
- Expertise with the selection and integration of aircraft sensors/receivers (GPS, IMU, Barometer, LIDAR & UWB).
- Familiar with developing software in real-time operating systems.
- Ardupilot or Flight Control Software as applied to quadcopters.
- Autonomous air or land or sea-based vehicles.
- Embedded systems development.
- Ability to develop software for ARM Cortex-based embedded systems.
- Experience with Linux systems.
Matternet is the developer of the world’s leading technology platform for on-demand aerial delivery in urban environments. The company provides its technology platform as a service to healthcare, e-commerce and logistics organizations. In March 2017, Matternet became the first company in the world to be authorized for full operations of drone logistics networks over densely populated areas in Switzerland. Since then, Matternet has executed over 3,000 flights in Zurich, Bern and Lugano. In May 2018, Matternet was selected to carry out drone logistics operations for US hospitals under the FAA's drone integration program. In March 2019, Matternet and UPS announced a partnership to provide drone delivery services to US healthcare systems, starting from WakeMed Health in NC. Matternet is based in Menlo Park, CA and has 50 employees. Matternet's investors include Boeing, Daimler, Swiss Post and Sony. For more information, visit https://mttr.net
Selected Matternet press:
Fast Company: https://www.fastcompany.com/90324754/the-countrys-first-regular-commercial-drone-delivery-is-here
MIT technology review: https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/613255/the-first-commercial-drone-delivery-scheme-in-the-us-is-already-flying/
We're an equal opportunity employer.