Electro-Optical Test Engineer
Sunnyvale, CA /
Apply Here For Expedited Consideration If You Are Being Directed to a Third Party Site: https://matterport.com/careers/
Matterport is the industry leader in 3D capture and spatial data with a mission to digitize and index the built world, and advance the way people interact with the places they inhabit and explore. Matterport’s all-in-one 3D data platform enables anyone to turn a physical space into an immersive digital twin and share it with others to connect and collaborate in 3D. The Matterport platform helps thousands of customers in 130+ countries realize the full potential of a space at every stage of its lifecycle including planning, construction, appraisal, marketing and operations.
With funding from a group of stellar VCs and investors, we are transforming how we experience the built world!
As a Electro-Optical Test Engineer at Matterport, you will test and characterize electro-optical systems for Matterport custom 3D reality capture hardware products. You will use a data-driven approach to report key findings to stakeholders in a concise and easily understandable way. You will use your intellectual curiosity to improve efficiency, scalability, and reliability of automation and data acquisition systems. You’ll work closely with optical, firmware, electrical, and mechanical engineers to build test environments, execute manual tests and continuously automate test processes. You'll become the expert on setting up, qualifying and maintaining complex electro-optical test infrastructures and automating test software. You will play a critical role in driving Matterport’s automation of test procedures to deliver statistically significant data sets across multiple engineering and production runs.
The ideal candidate is passionate about test and characterization and is a detail-oriented engineer with strong communication skills. You should also have a passion for building great hardware and software products and an excellent customer experience. You will ensure the release of products that inspire our customers to create a 3D digital twin of any size, scale, and complexity.
- Assist the design of test and characterization plans and execute them.
- Test and characterize electro-optical systems and identify possible failing subcomponents for review by engineering.
- Use a data-driven approach to report key findings to stakeholders in a concise and easily understandable way.
- Drive the automation of test procedures to deliver statistically significant data sets across multiple engineering and production runs.
- Support the transfer of equipment and training of operators from engineering to high-volume international manufacturing partners.
- Setup, qualify and maintain complex electro-optical test infrastructures and automated test software.
- Experience working with image sensors, depth sensors, photodiodes, and precision motion controllers.
- Experience working with lasers, optical benches, and optomechanical components.
- Experience with laser lab safety, management, and organization.
- Hands-on experience using and automating low/high voltage power supplies, high bandwidth oscilloscopes, DMMs, and other test equipment.
- Experience with various light sources, including filament, solid-state, and gas-charged lights, and methods of controlling the same.
- Solid understanding of electromagnetic fundamentals and geometrical optics.
- Experience with camera and depth sensor calibration.
- Experience in testing and automation for photonics and/or camera systems in high volume manufacturing.
- Understanding basic manufacturing quality metrics and statistics.
- Experience with debugging and failure analysis methodologies.
- Flexible to work in both Windows and Linux environments.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills, both oral and written.
- Thrives in a team environment, working with engineers of various disciplines.
- Proven ability to work independently with minimal guidance, and the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks.
- Experience in working with overseas partners, 10%-20% travel time required
- 3+ years of experience coding for test automation in at least one of the following: Python, MATLAB, Bash, and C++.
- BS Degree in Optical Sciences, Photonics Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or other related fields with 4+ years of experience, or MS degree with 2+ years of experience.
- Experience with laser eye safety certification.
- Experience with circuit analysis and design.
- Experience with high-speed digital logic.
- Experience with PCB design and layout.
- Experience with linear algebra, image processing, and image compression.
- Experience with 3D point cloud analysis.
- Experience with silicon photonics packaging.
- Knowledge of Fourier optics.
- Experience with using, modifying, and creating SQL queries for dashboards.
Matterport is shaking up the 3D world. Our team has developed an end-to-end 3D platform that allows anyone to create, edit, and share 3D models of real-world spaces. Our tools are already used by thousands of professionals in a variety of industries, including insurance, architecture, construction, manufacturing, real estate, hospitality, and location-scouting, as well as by hobbyists who just want to dive into 3D capture.
Matterport is an equal opportunity employer.