Boston, MA /
Workforce Modernization Program – Information Technology /
At the Customer Technology Department (CTD), our mission is to apply modern principles of research, design, and technology to make our transit system easy for all riders to use. Effective and equitable public transit is essential to the social, economic, and environmental progress of Greater Boston.
The MBTA Customer Technology team is working to transform how people get around the Boston area.
We are a team of designers, engineers, product and content specialists charged with bringing novel ideas, modern standards and a user-centered approach to technology at the T. As the MBTA works to reinvent itself, we have a rare opportunity to craft the future of transportation for Boston and communities all around Eastern Massachusetts, as well as pioneer innovations for other transit agencies around the country.
Do you want to improve the daily transportation experience for 4.7 million people in the Boston region? Ready for the challenge? Then read on.
The Application Analyst will perform system analysis, application administration, and application support activities for the HASTUS application, a transit scheduling and operations management application for the public transit industry.
HASTUS is a specialized application utilized for transit operations management. The application consists of an integrated suite of modules used for various functions across transit operations, including service planning & analysis, scheduling, employee work & vacation selection, workforce management, day-of-operation management, and timekeeping for bus, light rail, and heavy rail operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform system analysis activities for the full SDLC of the transit scheduling and operations management application, including requirements gathering, solution design, development, testing, implementation, and ongoing application support
- Assist with developing detailed specifications for system modifications or enhancements, documenting functional and technical requirements
- Configure application functional components, perform the definition of foundational data elements, and ensure proper version control of data elements
- Develop and maintain technical support documentation, including troubleshooting procedures, runbooks, and system configuration guides
- Provide 2nd level support for application issues, including issues with application functionality, environment configuration, and / or system integrations
- Respond to and resolve, or escalate, application issues raised by end-users and / or system alerts, performing detailed documentation of troubleshooting steps and / or issue resolution
- Escalate issues to internal IT teams (Server, Network, Database, etc.) and / or software vendor, as needed
- Perform user access provisioning, including new user account establishment and access permission updates
- Perform environment configuration and maintenance, including release installations, release promotions, and database refreshes
- Schedule, monitor, and troubleshoot issues with batch processes
- Perform ad-hoc data queries and generate ad-hoc reports
- Provide content knowledge and clarifications to QA team regarding designed behavior of application to facilitate the creation of test scripts
- Handle sensitive and confidential information in an appropriate manner
- Respond to each inquiry, whether from a customer, vendor, or co-worker, in a courteous and professional manner
- Participate in the on-call support rotation, responding to emergencies on a twenty-four (24) hour, seven (7) day per week basis while on-call
- Work any and all shifts and / or locations as assigned or directed, including occasional night and / or weekend work
- Perform related duties and projects as assigned
- Three (3) years of experience in system analysis, including enterprise application design, development, implementation, and support
- Experience writing technical documentation
- Experience with enterprise system and / or application administration
- Experience with IT service management / ticketing systems
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact with stakeholders, vendors, team members, and end-users
- Ability to work with many different types of professionals in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse workforce and end-user community
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Teams)
- Effective organizational, analytical, multi-tasking, time management, and documentation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service and conflict resolution skills
- Experience with HASTUS or similar transit scheduling and operations management applications, such as Trapeze FX or Trapeze OPS
- Experience with programing or scripting languages, such as Java, C#, SQL, or Python
- Experience or interest in the public transit or transportation industry
- Experience or interest in public transit data
- Experience with cloud platforms, such as Azure or AWS
- Experience with ServiceNow
- Experience with industry-specific ERP applications
Physical demands and working conditions:
- The work environment will be mostly a hybrid approach, with a combination of 1(one) to 2(two) days on-site and remote work.
- Work during communicated peak periods and not to exceed 40 hours in a week. During peak periods, work assignments may have varied start / end times, and may include weekends.
- The ability to travel to and work from various client facilities within a 15-mile radius from Downtown Boston. The client will not facilitate or provide transportation or transportation allowance.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with comparable experience in the fields of Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field
- This role is hybrid. 1-2 days onsite, per week, is the expectation.
Pay rate is $60.50 per hour (W-2), up to 1880 hours per year.
It is the policy of the Commonwealth that all executive department employees shall be required to demonstrate they have received COVID-19 vaccination and maintain full COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of continuing employment. Read the executive order and press release.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
CTD is dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive environment—it’s essential to the work we do. In order to effectively partner with MBTA departments and do our best work for riders, our team must reflect the wide variety of people who use the MBTA’s services. We welcome people with different strengths, experiences, and backgrounds who share a passion for improving people's lives. Our team is deeply committed to diversity, inclusion, and continual learning. We strive to foster an environment where each individual is valued, feels a sense of belonging, and is welcomed to bring their best self to work.
Here at CTD, we provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate, and manage all personnel without regard to race, color, national origin, cultural identification or expression, socioeconomic background, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, family status, marital status, learning style, neurodiversity, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.
Research has shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for roles unless they believe they meet all qualifications. We strongly encourage candidates from marginalized groups to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of the job qualifications listed. We’re committed to maximizing the diversity of our team and want to hear from anyone who is passionate about our efforts and interested in supporting our work for riders.