Sr Applications Manager Enterprise Applications
Boston, MA /
ITD – ITD /
At the Customer Technology Department (CTD), our mission is to apply modern principles of research, design, and technology to make our transit system easy for all riders to use. Effective and equitable public transit is essential to the social, economic, and environmental progress of Greater Boston.
The MBTA Customer Technology team is working to transform how people get around the Boston area.
We are a team of designers, engineers, product and content specialists charged with bringing novel ideas, modern standards and a user-centered approach to technology at the T. As the MBTA works to reinvent itself, we have a rare opportunity to craft the future of transportation for Boston and communities all around Eastern Massachusetts, as well as pioneer innovations for other transit agencies around the country.
Do you want to improve the daily transportation experience for 4.7 million people in the Boston region? Ready for the challenge? Then read on.
The Senior Application Manager, focused on the Financials & Administration portfolio, will be responsible to lead a diverse team of employees and contractors to plan and manage the application support activities associated with the MBTA’s enterprise financial application platforms. The Senior Application Manager will also collaborate closely with other project teams to assimilate updated functionality into the supported application platforms. The Senior Application Manager will strategically plan and execute application management functions to achieve or exceed application and department SLA’s. The Senior Application Manager will be responsible for incorporating suitable SDLC practices and delivering business value by managing successful project implementations of small or mid-sized initiatives performed by the application platforms support team. Coinciding with resource and project management, the Senior Application Manager will be responsible for developing technical roadmaps, managing several large vendor relationships, and establishing and maintaining strong relationships with key stakeholders within the MBTA’s financial organizations. This role will effectively manage and provide application platform leadership, establish, and improve close business relationships, overcome obstacles, continuously improve processes, and oversee all aspects of assigned IT applications for the MBTA Enterprise Applications team’s Financials & Administration portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Director of Enterprise Applications for the Financials & Administration portfolio and the business customers to establish priorities and schedule resources to meet business needs
- Work with business customers to clarify requirements, while identifying innovative technology improvements
- Assist in the development of specifications and the procurement of consultants and contractors, as required
- Establish a communication strategy in partnership with the business, IT sponsors, and IT team to effectively communicate application management and/or project related information to team members, IT management, and customers throughout project life cycle
- Schedule, run, and document meetings, as well as organize and prepare materials to deliver written/oral reports
- Effectively negotiate resource needs and competing priorities with IT and business stakeholders
- Create and execute strategies for risk mitigation and contingency planning, and assist in proactively identifying and resolving potential issues for active projects and assigned applications
- Manage, assess, and negotiate scope changes to projects and assigned applications
- Conduct assigned work assigned in compliance with all department standards, policies, and guidelines
- Ensure business engagement throughout the project and foster confidence and trust with business stakeholders
- Plan system application software upgrades, updates, and patches
- Work laterally with IT and business teams to assure service level expectations are met, as well as systems and hardware are maintained
- Manage vendor performance and drive deliverables to meet agreed upon target dates and levels of quality
- Coach, mentor, motivate, and supervise project team members and project managers
- Escalate issues that require executive, management, or business attention
- Respond to each inquiry, whether from a customer, vendor, or co-worker in a courteous and professional manner
- Manage application management functions to organizational standards and support metrics
- Facilitate and lead the definition of the project scope, project management/SDLC approach, milestones, tasks, deliverables, and resource requirements
- Manage multiple technical, functional, and consulting teams and/or contractors to carry out the requirements of each project completely on time and on budget
- Develop and maintain project plans, status reports, risk and issue logs, budget/ongoing project forecast of recourses and materials and other project artifacts within the Project/Portfolio Management system of record
- Manage multiple project budgets including financials planning, execution, and prioritization
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with comparable experience in the fields of Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Technology
- Eight (8) years of IT experience with significant depth in application management, development, information management, analysis/reporting, and ITIL
- Three (3) plus years of experience with project management deploying functionality to an ERP, including various SDLC methodologies from waterfall through agile
- Five (5) plus years of experience in PeopleSoft FSCM, with minimum two (2) years of v9.2 experience
- PMP and/or Scrum Certification preferred
- Demonstrated experience with ServiceNow or similar project and portfolio management system
- Prior experience on projects with federal, state, or local government is desirable
- Ability to manage multiple teams, amongst competing priorities simultaneously
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio, Project, and Teams
- Excellent organizational, analytical, communications, multi-tasking, time management, and interpersonal skills, with ability to utilize data to assert assumptions and develop business cases
- Results oriented person with a delivery focus
- Excellent verbal and written communication and customer service skills
- Ability to pass background screenings; a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check and the MBTA’s medical requirements, including a physical examination and drug and alcohol screening
- Have a satisfactory work record including overall employment, job performance, discipline, and safety records. For internal candidates, the aforementioned applies to the two (2) years immediately prior to the closing date of this posting. Infractions and/or offenses occurring after the closing of the posting and before the filling of a vacancy may preclude a candidate from consideration
- Ability to supervise and work effectively with a diverse workforce
- Ability to work any and all shifts and/or locations as assigned or directed
- Ability to work in an onsite-remote hybrid work model with 0 to 1 week onsite a month in Boston, MA
- Exposure to SaaS (software) / PaaS (platform) implementation and optimization
- Direct work experience with Financials, Supply Chain, and Project Management software
- Experience with Appeon PowerBuilder with client-server deployment
Pay rate range is $90 - $105 per hour, up to 1880 hours per year.
It is the policy of the Commonwealth that all executive department employees shall be required to demonstrate they have received COVID-19 vaccination and maintain full COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of continuing employment. Read the executive order and press release.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
CTD is dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive environment—it’s essential to the work we do. In order to effectively partner with MBTA departments and do our best work for riders, our team must reflect the wide variety of people who use the MBTA’s services. We welcome people with different strengths, experiences, and backgrounds who share a passion for improving people's lives. Our team is deeply committed to diversity, inclusion, and continual learning. We strive to foster an environment where each individual is valued, feels a sense of belonging, and is welcomed to bring their best self to work.
Here at CTD, we provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate, and manage all personnel without regard to race, color, national origin, cultural identification or expression, socioeconomic background, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, family status, marital status, learning style, neurodiversity, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.
Research has shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for roles unless they believe they meet all qualifications. We strongly encourage candidates from marginalized groups to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of the job qualifications listed. We’re committed to maximizing the diversity of our team and want to hear from anyone who is passionate about our efforts and interested in supporting our work for riders.