Business Analyst - Transit
Boston, MA /
Workforce Modernization Program – Business Analysis /
At the Customer Technology Department (CTD), our mission is to apply modern principles of research, design, and technology to make our transit system easy for all riders to use. Effective and equitable public transit is essential to the social, economic, and environmental progress of Greater Boston.
The MBTA Customer Technology team is working to transform how people get around the Boston area.
We are a team of designers, engineers, product and content specialists charged with bringing novel ideas, modern standards and a user-centered approach to technology at the T. As the MBTA works to reinvent itself, we have a rare opportunity to craft the future of transportation for Boston and communities all around Eastern Massachusetts, as well as pioneer innovations for other transit agencies around the country.
Do you want to improve the daily transportation experience for 4.7 million people in the Boston region? Ready for the challenge? Then read on.
At the MBTA, we envision a thriving region enabled by a best-in-class transit system. Our mission is to serve the public by providing safe, reliable, and accessible transportation. The MBTA’s core values are safety, service, equity, and sustainability and each employee that works for the MBTA performs their roles based on our vision, mission, and values.
Business Analyst will be responsible for provide change management and sustainability planning through analyzing data, improving business processes, and creating digital training materials to bring MBTA Operations into the digital age.
A critical part of this role is the ability to perform analysis activities and execute project, as well as to collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand end user needs and articulate business and functional requirements. The analyst will work closely with MBTA Bus & Rail Operations, Service Planning & Scheduling, Labor Relations, Human Resources, Payroll, Finance, Information Technology, and other Authority Departments.
This position will perform the following activities and examples, as well as other related tasks as the needs arise.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyze business processes to identify areas of improvement, working collaboratively with business stakeholders to identify potential solutions and develop recommendations
- Plan and lead workshops, focus groups, and other collaborative efforts with staff, contractors, and vendors
- Develop, update, and maintain project documentation, including but not limited to business requirements, process maps, and end-user training materials
- Collaborate with a diverse set of teams, including Information Technology Department, to review business requirements, analyze current application functionality, and identify opportunities for optimization
- Develop change management materials for business process changes and new application functionality
- Develop and execute training program for new and existing end-users of HASTUS and other operations tools, and support end-users with system usage and troubleshooting
- Develop and execute both high-level and detailed analytics, including identification of existing data sets and development of new qualitative and quantitative data sets
- Develop dashboards that communicate complex data in an easy to digest manner, and work with multiple stakeholders to maintain and evolve dashboards
- Work with departments to implement and track the impact of continuous improvement initiatives, including identifying roadblocks and root causes, and developing solutions in tandem with Operations leadership
- Analyze the performance of current business processes and work to continuously optimize them based upon external and internal feedback
- Identify issues that require analyses, providing early notice of problem areas at a high level and at the departmental level
- Respond to each inquiry, whether from a customer, vendor or co-worker in a courteous and professional manner consistent with the Authority's Customer Service quality standard.
- Uphold the rights and interests of the Authority while building and maintaining an effective relationship with employees
Minimum Experience and Required Skills:
- Three (3) years’ of full-time, six (6) years’ of part-time, or a combination, experience in business analysis, operations analysis, project management, or related fields.
- Two (2) years of related supervisory experience in transportation operations or similar management experience.
- Excellent communication, analytical, and presentation skills with ability to obtain buy-in with key stakeholders at all levels of the organization and influence their decision-making.
- Experience eliciting and documenting business requirements and business process flows
- Experience with organizational change management, approaches and material development.
- Ability to learn quickly, take direction, and work independently and to use creative, collaborative, and consultative approaches to resolve issues.
- Demonstrate data-driven decision-making skills and a willingness to test-and-learn hypotheses.
- Have excellent customer service skills, conflict resolution skills and the ability to provide internal and external customers with a courteous and professional experience.
- Ability to think strategically and work in a team environment.
- Advanced expertise in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to supervise and work effectively with a diverse workforce.
- Ability to pass background screenings and the MBTA's drug and alcohol screening.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information in an appropriate manner.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience or interest in the public transit or transportation industry
- End-user experience with transit scheduling or transit operations management software, such as HASTUS or Trapeze FX
- Experience training end-users on transportation software such as HASTUS or Trapeze.
- Experience with process improvement and/or change management, such as Lean or Six Sigma.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- The work environment will be mostly a hybrid approach, with a combination of 1(one) to 2(two) days on-site and remote work.
- Work during communicated peak periods and not to exceed 40 hours in a week. During peak periods, work assignments may have varied start / end times, and may include weekends.
- The ability to travel to and work from various client facilities within a 15-mile radius from Downtown Boston. The client will not facilitate or provide transportation or transportation allowance.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- Pay Rate - $58 - $60 per hour. Hybrid working model.
MBTA requires that contractors who are assigned to MBTA workplaces are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and comply with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures. The Vendor certifies that the Resource assigned to MBTA workplaces is (1) fully vaccinated for COVID-19; or (2) allowed an exemption from such requirement. The Vendor must address any requests for reasonable accommodation by the Resource who is unable to receive the COVID-19 vaccination due to medical disability or unwillingness to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a sincerely held religious belief. The MBTA reserves the right to review proposed accommodations on a case-by-case basis; MBTA may request additional information to verify Resource compliance.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
CTD is dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive environment—it’s essential to the work we do. In order to effectively partner with MBTA departments and do our best work for riders, our team must reflect the wide variety of people who use the MBTA’s services. We welcome people with different strengths, experiences, and backgrounds who share a passion for improving people's lives. Our team is deeply committed to diversity, inclusion, and continual learning. We strive to foster an environment where each individual is valued, feels a sense of belonging, and is welcomed to bring their best self to work.
Here at CTD, we provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate, and manage all personnel without regard to race, color, national origin, cultural identification or expression, socioeconomic background, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, family status, marital status, learning style, neurodiversity, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.
Research has shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for roles unless they believe they meet all qualifications. We strongly encourage candidates from marginalized groups to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of the job qualifications listed. We’re committed to maximizing the diversity of our team and want to hear from anyone who is passionate about our efforts and interested in supporting our work for riders.