Associate Business Analyst
Boston, MA /
Workforce Modernization Program – Business Analysis /
At the Customer Technology Department (CTD), our mission is to apply modern principles of research, design, and technology to make our transit system easy for all riders to use. Effective and equitable public transit is essential to the social, economic, and environmental progress of Greater Boston.
The MBTA Customer Technology team is working to transform how people get around the Boston area.
We are a team of designers, engineers, product and content specialists charged with bringing novel ideas, modern standards and a user-centered approach to technology at the T. As the MBTA works to reinvent itself, we have a rare opportunity to craft the future of transportation for Boston and communities all around Eastern Massachusetts, as well as pioneer innovations for other transit agencies around the country.
Do you want to improve the daily transportation experience for 4.7 million people in the Boston region? Ready for the challenge? Then read on.
At the MBTA, we envision a thriving region enabled by a best-in-class transit system. Our mission is to serve the public by providing safe, reliable, and accessible transportation. The MBTA’s core values are safety, service, equity, and sustainability and each employee that works for the MBTA performs their roles based on our vision, mission, and values.
The Associate Business Analyst will be responsible for performing detailed business analysis, documenting business requirements, identifying optimization opportunities, recommending business process changes, supporting testing technical solutions, and assisting with organizational change management.
The primary responsibility of this role to assist with analysis activities and project task execution. Additionally, the Associate Business Analyst will collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand end-user needs and articulate business and functional requirements. The Associate Analyst will work closely with Transit Operations, Service Planning & Scheduling, Labor Relations, Human Resources, Payroll, Finance, Information Technology, and other Authority Departments.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Analyze business processes to identify problems and opportunities for optimization, working collaboratively with business stakeholders to identify potential solutions and develop recommendations.
- Maintain project documentation, including but not limited to business requirements, traceability matrices and process maps.
- Participate in workshops, focus groups, and other collaborative efforts with staff, contractors, and vendors.
- Collaborate with a diverse set of teams to review business requirements, analyze current application functionality, and identify opportunities for optimization.
- Maintain end-user training and change management materials for business process changes and new application functionality.
- Assist with conducting training and change management sessions for end-users of HASTUS and other applications.
- Support end-users with system usage and troubleshooting.
- Monitor qualitative and quantitative business metrics and KPIs as part of process improvement and controls.
- Maintain dashboards that communicate complex information in an easy to digest manner, and work with multiple stakeholders to maintain and evolve dashboards.
- Respond to each inquiry, whether from a customer, vendor, or co-worker in a courteous and professional manner consistent with the Authority's Customer Service quality standard.
- Uphold the rights and interests of the Authority while building and maintaining an effective relationship with employees.
Minimum experience and required skills:
- One (1) year of full-time, three (3) years of part-time, or a combination, experience in business analysis, operations analysis, systems analysis, project management, or related fields.
- Experience eliciting and documenting business requirements and business process flows.
- Experience with organizational change management, training material development and training course delivery.
- Ability to adapt quickly, take direction and work independently when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve problems creatively and with a consultative approach.
- Excellent communication, analysis, and presentation skills.
- Experience and comfort interacting with all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated data-driven decision-making skills.
- Ability to think strategically and work in a team environment.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse workforce and end-user community.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Teams).
- Effective organizational, analytical, multi-tasking, time management, and documentation skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information in an appropriate manner.
Preferred experience and skills:
- Experience or interest in the public transit or transportation industry
- End-user experience with transit scheduling or transit operations management software, such as HASTUS, Trapeze FX, or Trapeze OPS
- Experience training end-users on industry-specific applications.
- Experience with process improvement and/or change management, such as Lean or Six Sigma.
Physical demands and working conditions:
- The work environment will be a hybrid approach, with a combination of on-site and remote work. One (1) to two (2) days will be required on-site per week. Additional time on site may be required depending on the assignment.
- Work during communicated peak periods and not to exceed 40 hours in a week. During peak periods, work assignments may have varied start / end times, and may include weekends.
- The ability to travel to and work from various client facilities within a 15-mile radius from Downtown Boston. The client will not facilitate or provide transportation or transportation allowance.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Engineering, Information Technology, or a related field from an accredited institution.
- This role will be hybrid, with 1-2 days a week onsite expected.
Pay rate is $43.47 per hour (W-2), up to 1880 hours per year.
This is a full-time hourly position within the Customer Technology Department at the MBTA. We work with payroll vendors that offer benefits such as pre-taxed health insurance, 401k options, and paid sick time.
It is the policy of the Commonwealth that all executive department employees shall be required to demonstrate they have received COVID-19 vaccination and maintain full COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of continuing employment. Read the executive order and press release.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
CTD is dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive environment—it’s essential to the work we do. In order to effectively partner with MBTA departments and do our best work for riders, our team must reflect the wide variety of people who use the MBTA’s services. We welcome people with different strengths, experiences, and backgrounds who share a passion for improving people's lives. Our team is deeply committed to diversity, inclusion, and continual learning. We strive to foster an environment where each individual is valued, feels a sense of belonging, and is welcomed to bring their best self to work.
Here at CTD, we provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate, and manage all personnel without regard to race, color, national origin, cultural identification or expression, socioeconomic background, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, family status, marital status, learning style, neurodiversity, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.
Research has shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for roles unless they believe they meet all qualifications. We strongly encourage candidates from marginalized groups to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of the job qualifications listed. We’re committed to maximizing the diversity of our team and want to hear from anyone who is passionate about our efforts and interested in supporting our work for riders.