Senior Project Manager/Questica Implementation Specialist
Boston, MA /
ITD – Information Technology Department /
At the Customer Technology Department (CTD), our mission is to apply modern principles of research, design, and technology to make our transit system easy for all riders to use. Effective and equitable public transit is essential to the social, economic, and environmental progress of Greater Boston.
The MBTA Customer Technology team is working to transform how people get around the Boston area.
We are a team of designers, engineers, product and content specialists charged with bringing novel ideas, modern standards and a user-centered approach to technology at the T. As the MBTA works to reinvent itself, we have a rare opportunity to craft the future of transportation for Boston and communities all around Eastern Massachusetts, as well as pioneer innovations for other transit agencies around the country.
Do you want to improve the daily transportation experience for 4.7 million people in the Boston region? Ready for the challenge? Then read on.
The MBTA is seeking a person with project management and process improvement knowledge to join our Project Connect business process improvement initiative. In this role, you will work directly with end users, third party vendor resources, and technical staff to implement new budgeting business processes using Questica’s powerful budgeting application. Ensuring deliverables fall within scope of the implementation, the Senior Project Manager will determine business needs, analyze current processes, and implement agreed upon business processes. This is an opportunity to directly contribute the MBTA’s mission to continuously improve and enhance aspects of its Financials/Supply Chain systems. The goal of this endeavor is to design the next generation of budgeting business processes with new and existing technologies and best business practices.
About this role:
- The MBTA is seeking a Senior Project Manager to join the MBTA’s Project Connect team within the Information Technology department with the ability to lead diverse teams and deliver projects on time, within budget, and by way of excellent customer service. The ideal candidate will have prior knowledge of public sector budgeting and/or systems implementation of budgeting software.
- The applicant will be responsible for strategically planning and executing IT projects, incorporating suitable SDLC practices, developing technical roadmaps, and delivering business value with successful project implementations. This role will effectively manage and provide project leadership, establish and improve close business relationships, overcome obstacles, and oversee all aspects of assigned IT projects for the MBTA Enterprise Applications team at our Boston based location.
- Work directly with end users, project stakeholders, vendor resources, technical staff, and other MBTA resources as needed through all stages of implementation, analyzing business needs, recommending best practices, and ensuring smooth, on-time/on-budget completion
- Facilitate and lead the definition of the project scope, project management/SDLC approach, milestones, tasks, deliverables, and resource requirements.
- Project budgeting, financials planning, and prioritization
- Establish a communication strategy in partnership with the business, IT sponsors and effectively communicate project related information to team members, IT management, and customers throughout the project life cycle.
- Develop and maintains project plans, status reports, risk and issue logs, budget/ongoing project forecast of resources and materials and other project related artifacts within the Project and Portfolio Management system of record
- Analyze existing budgeting processes, identify gaps and improvement to be built in the new budget system to provide an efficient and comprehensive budgeting tool for operating budget creation and maintenance, personnel budget creation and maintenance, and capital project request initiation and updates.
- Schedule, run, and document project meetings
- Organize and manage project plan, as well as prepare materials and deliver project status reports, as required
- Effectively negotiate project resource needs and competing priorities with IT and business stakeholders
- Assist business in fully integrating Questica budgeting software with MBTA’s financial system of record, a PeopleSoft FSCM system, into their current business environment and provide input on best practices
- Assist business in dispositioning prior business processes and ERP system procedures
- Create and execute strategies for risk mitigation and contingency planning
- Manage, assess, and negotiate project scope changes.
- Conduct assigned projects in compliance with all department standards, policies, and guidelines. Apply appropriate levels of tailoring to meet project-specific needs, while still operating within the standard project management framework.
- Efficiently identify and resolve project issues.
- Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project team members and other project managers.
- Escalate issues that require executive, management or business attention.
- Manage vendor performance and drive deliverables to meet agreed upon target dates and levels of quality,
- Ensure business engagement throughout the project, project decision making, managing scope/budget changes, business requirements elicitation and prioritization, acceptance testing, training, etc. and foster confidence and trust with business stakeholders
- Demonstrated leader in delivering solutions for Oracle ERP PeopleSoft Financials and Supply Chain Management and ability to thrive in a team setting, quickly adaptable, and contributes high value to the project at hand
- Strong verbal, presentation, and written communication skills with executive business stakeholders, technical staff, application users, and third-party vendors
- Knowledge and application of industry standard project management principles and methodologies delivered using various systems development life cycles including Agile Scrum
- Strong familiarity with project management software and MS Office.
- Ability to define, manage, and exceed business customer expectations.
- Can operate at the macro level, driving large teams with multiple stakeholders, as well as individually contribute to work products when required.
- Work effectively with project team members, subcontractors, and business stakeholders in a diverse team environment demonstrating the ability to build consensus amongst project team members and key stakeholders
- Strong intellectual curiosity and capacity for professional growth
- Able to prioritize and work on multiple tasks at any one time, while maintaining high quality standards.
- 10+ years’ experience in PeopleSoft FSCM, with Commitment Control knowledge preferred
- 2+ years’ experience with deploying new functionality to an ERP
- 2+ years’ experience with Questica, budgeting software solution
- Functional and technical knowledge of PeopleSoft 9.2 FSCM experience preferred
- BA/BS degree in Business, Computer Science or related field.
- PMP and/or Scrum Certification preferred
- Experience with Service Now or similar project and portfolio management system
- Prior experience on projects with federal, state or local government is desirable
- Demonstrated experience with various SDLC methodologies from waterfall to agile
It is the policy of the Commonwealth that all executive department employees shall be required to demonstrate they have received COVID-19 vaccination and maintain full COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of continuing employment. Read the executive order and press release.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
CTD is dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive environment—it’s essential to the work we do. In order to effectively partner with MBTA departments and do our best work for riders, our team must reflect the wide variety of people who use the MBTA’s services. We welcome people with different strengths, experiences, and backgrounds who share a passion for improving people's lives. Our team is deeply committed to diversity, inclusion, and continual learning. We strive to foster an environment where each individual is valued, feels a sense of belonging, and is welcomed to bring their best self to work.
Here at CTD, we provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate, and manage all personnel without regard to race, color, national origin, cultural identification or expression, socioeconomic background, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, family status, marital status, learning style, neurodiversity, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.
Research has shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for roles unless they believe they meet all qualifications. We strongly encourage candidates from marginalized groups to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of the job qualifications listed. We’re committed to maximizing the diversity of our team and want to hear from anyone who is passionate about our efforts and interested in supporting our work for riders.