Application Analyst - Transit Apps
Boston, MA /
Workforce Modernization Program – Information Technology /
At the Customer Technology Department (CTD), our mission is to apply modern principles of research, design, and technology to make our transit system easy for all riders to use. Effective and equitable public transit is essential to the social, economic, and environmental progress of Greater Boston.
The MBTA Customer Technology team is working to transform how people get around the Boston area.
We are a team of designers, engineers, product and content specialists charged with bringing novel ideas, modern standards and a user-centered approach to technology at the T. As the MBTA works to reinvent itself, we have a rare opportunity to craft the future of transportation for Boston and communities all around Eastern Massachusetts, as well as pioneer innovations for other transit agencies around the country.
Do you want to improve the daily transportation experience for 4.7 million people in the Boston region? Ready for the challenge? Then read on.
At the MBTA, we envision a thriving region enabled by a best-in-class transit system. Our mission is to serve the public by providing safe, reliable, and accessible transportation. The MBTA’s core values are safety, service, equity, and sustainability and each employee that works for the MBTA performs their roles based on our vision, mission, and values.
The Application Analyst will perform application support, systems analysis and configuration, and system administration and maintenance in support of the HASTUS application, a transit scheduling and daily operations management application for the public transit industry.
HASTUS is a specialized application utilized for transit operations management. The application consists of an integrated suite of modules used for various functions across transit operations, including service planning & analysis, scheduling, employee work & vacation selection, workforce management, day-of-operation management and timekeeping for bus, light rail, and heavy rail operations.
This position will perform the following activities and examples, as well as other related tasks as the needs arise.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide 2nd level end-user support for troubleshooting application issues, including issues with application functionality, environment configuration, and / or system integrations
- Respond to and resolve, or escalate, application support requests raised by end-users and / or system alerts, performing detailed documentation of troubleshooting steps and / or issue resolution
- Define and document functional / technical requirements for system modifications or enhancements
- Configure application functional components, perform the definition of foundational data elements, and ensure versioning of data elements
- Develop and maintain technical support documentation, including troubleshooting procedures, runbooks, and system configuration guides
- Perform user access provisioning, including new user account establishment and access permission updates
- Perform environment configuration and maintenance, including release installations, release promotions, and database refreshes
- Schedule, monitor, and troubleshoot issues with batch processes
- Perform ad-hoc data queries and generate ad-hoc reports
- Escalate issues to internal technical teams (Server, Network, Database, etc.) and / or software vendor as needed
- Provide content knowledge and clarifications to QA / Testing team regarding designed behavior of application to facilitate the creation of test scripts
- Work any and all shifts and / or locations as assigned or directed. This may include shifts outside of regular working hours, including early mornings, late at night, and weekends.
- Participate in the on-call support rotation, responding to emergencies a on a twenty-four (24) hour, seven (7) day per week basis while on-call
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with comparable experience in the fields of Computer Science, Information Technology, Business, or a related field
- Four (4) years of experience in system analysis, application support, and system administration
- Experience in enterprise system and / or application administration
- Experience with ServiceNow or similar service management / ticketing system
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Teams
- Effective organizational, analytical, multi-tasking, time management, and documentation skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact with end-users and team members
- Strong verbal and written communication and customer service skills
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse workforce and end-user community
- Experience with HASTUS or similar transit scheduling & operations management applications, such as Trapeze FX or Trapeze OPS
- Experience with programing or scripting languages, such as Java, C#, SQL, or Python
- Experience or interest in the public transit or transportation industry
- Experience or interest in public transit data
- Experience with cloud platforms, such as Azure or AWS
- Experience with industry-specific ERP systems
- Work environment will be remote.
- During peak periods, work assignments may have varied start / end times, and may include weekends.
- Pay Rate - $70 - $77 per hour. Remote working model.
MBTA requires that contractors who are assigned to MBTA workplaces are fully vaccinated for COVID-19, and comply with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures. The Vendor certifies that the Resource assigned to MBTA workplaces is (1) fully vaccinated for COVID-19; or (2) allowed an exemption from such requirement. The Vendor must address any requests for reasonable accommodation by the Resource who is unable to receive the COVID-19 vaccination due to medical disability or unwillingness to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a sincerely held religious belief. The MBTA reserves the right to review proposed accommodations on a case-by-case basis; MBTA may request additional information to verify Resource compliance.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
CTD is dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive environment—it’s essential to the work we do. In order to effectively partner with MBTA departments and do our best work for riders, our team must reflect the wide variety of people who use the MBTA’s services. We welcome people with different strengths, experiences, and backgrounds who share a passion for improving people's lives. Our team is deeply committed to diversity, inclusion, and continual learning. We strive to foster an environment where each individual is valued, feels a sense of belonging, and is welcomed to bring their best self to work.
Here at CTD, we provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate, and manage all personnel without regard to race, color, national origin, cultural identification or expression, socioeconomic background, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, family status, marital status, learning style, neurodiversity, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.
Research has shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for roles unless they believe they meet all qualifications. We strongly encourage candidates from marginalized groups to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of the job qualifications listed. We’re committed to maximizing the diversity of our team and want to hear from anyone who is passionate about our efforts and interested in supporting our work for riders.