Software Procurement Manager - Licensed Software
Customer Technology – Administration /
At the Technology Innovation Department (TID), our mission is to apply modern principles of research, design, and technology to make our transit system easy for all riders to use. Effective and equitable public transit is essential to the social, economic, and environmental progress of Greater Boston.
The MBTA Technology Innovation team is working to transform how people get around the Boston area.
We are a team of designers, engineers, product and content specialists charged with bringing novel ideas, modern standards and a user-centered approach to technology at the T. As the MBTA works to reinvent itself, we have a rare opportunity to craft the future of transportation for Boston and communities all around Eastern Massachusetts, as well as pioneer innovations for other transit agencies around the country.
Do you want to improve the daily transportation experience for 4.7 million people in the Boston region? Ready for the challenge? Then read on.
TID is the foremost digital team among American transit agencies and this position is an opportunity to help to grow and spread this successful organizational model.
- In coordination with the Director, Budget & Operations and the Director of Infrastructure, this administrator is charged with managing the financial forecasting of licensed software, the procurement of software, including assigning appropriate access levels and types of software licenses across the department. The administrator will also field correspondence, manage documentation, configuration and auditing of licensed software.
- Plans, coordinates, and implements the software integration and linkage.
- Researches vendor products and recommends purchase of software and telecommunications.
- Analyzes and forecasts usage and license count for subscription-based software. Works with TID Finance to ensure smooth budgeting and procurement of licensed software and cloud-based solutions for the department.
- Manages software configuration and access controls. Works with relevant stakeholders, including TID Infrastructure and ITD InfoSec to ensure data security and conduct periodic audits of configuration and user access.
- Establishes performance standards, policies and procedures. Coordinates systems training for users and system administrators.
- This role is a representative of the Customer Technology Department to internal and external stakeholders. Polished communication and customer service experience, in addition to administrative experience, is essential. Basic project management experience is desired.
Work experience guidelines:
- Although we're mostly interested in your ability to do the work, here are some guidelines on the capabilities and experience we think might be most suited for this role. Please keep in mind that the experience guidelines are advisory, and not required.
- Financial forecasting skills, experience in budget development.
- Experience managing vendors, contracts, licensed software.
- SQL, Tableau, and /or robust Excel skills.
- User administration, including access controls and least-privilege permissions.
- Effective organizational, time management, interpersonal and multi-tasking skills.
- Excellent customer service skills, with a proven ability to build trusted relationships with clients, internal business customers, and external customers (e.g., riders).
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with ability to influence people at all levels of the organization, both vertically and horizontally, as well as outside the organization.
- A realistic sense of urgency grounded in data and long-term sustainable practices. Experience using modern collaboration technologies for task management (we use Asana), document collaboration (we use Microsoft 365), white-boarding (we use Miro), and team chat (we use Slack and Microsoft Teams).
This role is hybrid. While most activities can be accomplished remotely, a component of this role requires an in-person element.
Unfortunately, we are unable to hire candidates who would perform their work in California, Connecticut, Washington DC, Hawaii, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Washington, West Virginia, and Puerto Rico.
At this time, we are only able to hire US resident's that are residing in the US at the start of their employment.
Pay rate range is $48 - $66 per hour (W-2), up to 1880 hours per year.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
TID is dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive environment—it’s essential to the work we do. In order to effectively partner with MBTA departments and do our best work for riders, our team must reflect the wide variety of people who use the MBTA’s services. We welcome people with different strengths, experiences, and backgrounds who share a passion for improving people's lives. Our team is deeply committed to diversity, inclusion, and continual learning. We strive to foster an environment where each individual is valued, feels a sense of belonging, and is welcomed to bring their best self to work.
Here at TID, we provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate, and manage all personnel without regard to race, color, national origin, cultural identification or expression, socioeconomic background, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, family status, marital status, learning style, neurodiversity, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.
Research has shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for roles unless they believe they meet all qualifications. We strongly encourage candidates from marginalized groups to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of the job qualifications listed. We’re committed to maximizing the diversity of our team and want to hear from anyone who is passionate about our efforts and interested in supporting our work for riders.