Programmer Analyst - HASTUS
Boston, MA /
HASTUS – HASTUS /
At the Customer Technology Department (CTD), our mission is to apply modern principles of research, design, and technology to make our transit system easy for all riders to use. Effective and equitable public transit is essential to the social, economic, and environmental progress of Greater Boston.
The MBTA Customer Technology team is working to transform how people get around the Boston area.
We are a team of designers, engineers, product and content specialists charged with bringing novel ideas, modern standards and a user-centered approach to technology at the T. As the MBTA works to reinvent itself, we have a rare opportunity to craft the future of transportation for Boston and communities all around Eastern Massachusetts, as well as pioneer innovations for other transit agencies around the country.
Do you want to improve the daily transportation experience for 4.7 million people in the Boston region? Ready for the challenge? Then read on.
The Programmer Analyst will be responsible for designing, programming, integrating, testing, supporting, and maintaining the HASTUS application, a transit scheduling and daily operations management application for the public transit industry.
HASTUS is a specialized application utilized for transit operations management. The application consists of an integrated suite of modules used for various functions across transit operations, including service planning & analysis, scheduling, employee work & vacation selection, workforce management, day-of-operation management and timekeeping for bus, light rail, and heavy rail operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, develop, modify, maintain, and support system integrations, including development of prepared queries and automation scripts, development of load mechanisms, and establishment of transfer protocols.
- Design, develop, modify, maintain, and support business reports by using Crystal Reports and other platforms.
- Design, develop, modify, maintain, and support custom-built applications to supplement the enterprise application architecture.
- Create, update, and maintain technical documentation for custom-built applications, system integrations, and reports, including technical design specifications, procedure documents, and architecture diagrams.
- Create, update, and maintain end-user procedural documentation
- Perform environment configuration and maintenance, including release installations, release promotions, and database refreshes
- Schedule, monitor, and troubleshoot issues with batch processes
- Perform ad-hoc data queries
- Provide 2nd / 3rd level end-user support for troubleshooting application issues
- Escalate issues to internal technical teams (Server, Network, Database, etc.) and / or software vendor as needed.
- Provide content knowledge and clarifications to QA / Testing team regarding designed behavior of application to facilitate the creation of test scripts
- Work any and all shifts and / or locations as assigned or directed. This may include shifts outside of regular working hours, including early mornings, late at night, and weekends.
- Participate in the on-call support rotation, responding to emergencies a on a twenty-four (24) hour, seven (7) day per week basis while on-call.
- Uphold the rights and interests of the Authority while building and maintaining effective relationships with employees.
- Perform related duties and projects as assigned and report on status.
- Work environment will be hybrid (virtual with some in-office shifts)
- During peak periods, work assignments may have varied start / end times, and may include weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with comparable experience in the fields of Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, or a related field.
- Three (3) years of experience in application programming and analysis, including design, development, implementation, and administration / support.
- Two (2) years to experience with scheduling and / or operations management applications
- Experience with programming languages, such as .NET, ASP, C#, or Java.
- Experience with scripting languages, such as Perl, Bash, Ruby, or Python.
- Experience with reporting and business intelligence platforms, such as Crystal Reports or Tableau.
- Experience with version control systems (preferably GitHub), including branching and merging strategies.
- Experience with HASTUS or other transit scheduling & operations management applications (ex: Trapeze FX) strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience with ServiceNow or similar service management / ticketing system
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Teams
- Effective organizational, analytical, multi-tasking, time management, and documentation skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact with end-users and team members
- Strong verbal and written communication and customer service skills
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse workforce and end-user community
- Direct work experience with transit scheduling or transit operations management applications, such as HASTUS or Trapeze FX
- Experience or interest in the public transit or transportation industry
- Experience or interest in public transit data
- Experience with cloud platforms, such as Azure or AWS
- Experience with industry-specific ERP applications
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
CTD is dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive environment—it’s essential to the work we do. In order to effectively partner with MBTA departments and do our best work for riders, our team must reflect the wide variety of people who use the MBTA’s services. We welcome people with different strengths, experiences, and backgrounds who share a passion for improving people's lives. Our team is deeply committed to diversity, inclusion, and continual learning. We strive to foster an environment where each individual is valued, feels a sense of belonging, and is welcomed to bring their best self to work.
Here at CTD, we provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate, and manage all personnel without regard to race, color, national origin, cultural identification or expression, socioeconomic background, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, family status, marital status, learning style, neurodiversity, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.
Research has shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for roles unless they believe they meet all qualifications. We strongly encourage candidates from marginalized groups to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of the job qualifications listed. We’re committed to maximizing the diversity of our team and want to hear from anyone who is passionate about our efforts and interested in supporting our work for riders.