Boston, MA /
Customer Technology – Content /
At the Customer Technology Department (CTD), our mission is to apply modern principles of research, design, and technology to make our transit system easy for all riders to use. Effective and equitable public transit is essential to the social, economic, and environmental progress of Greater Boston.
The MBTA Customer Technology team is working to transform how people get around the Boston area.
We are a team of designers, engineers, product and content specialists charged with bringing novel ideas, modern standards and a user-centered approach to technology at the T. As the MBTA works to reinvent itself, we have a rare opportunity to craft the future of transportation for Boston and communities all around Eastern Massachusetts, as well as pioneer innovations for other transit agencies around the country.
Do you want to improve the daily transportation experience for 4.7 million people in the Boston region? Ready for the challenge? Then read on.
As a Content Strategist at CTD, you’ll be part of the team that writes, edits, and builds the content strategy for MBTA.com. We’re seeking someone with strong writing skills who wants to learn more about how we use technology to give riders the information they need in the most useful way possible.
Day to day, you will:
- Write and edit content for mbta.com with guidance from the content team.
- Work with the MBTA communications team and web team to develop the weekly content calendar for stories featured on the mbta.com homepage.
- Work with the Website lead or other content strategists to address special project areas through discovery, stakeholder interviews, requirements gathering, and content creation.
- Work with the website project manager to evaluate and establish accessibility requirements for documents on mbta.com.
- Use tools like Google Analytics and SEMRush to measure and track metrics for important MBTA events and campaigns.
- Participate in the content team’s regular planning and strategy meetings to determine priority and timeline of important tasks and projects.
- Partner with the UX/Product Design team to work on new feature development and rider research.
- You will be part of the Product Design, Research, and Content Strategy team – a cross-functional team reporting to the Head of Product Design. This group supports one another with brainstorms, work reviews, and ongoing promotion of best practices and emerging methodologies.
- Working on MBTA.com, you’ll be part of a recognized industry-leading team that is rebuilding the technology the MBTA uses to provide real-time service and trip planning information.
What you can expect from your first 90 days at CTD
- Dive into the MBTA system: We don’t expect everyone who walks into CTD to understand the ins and outs of how our transit system operates. You will begin learning the details of how the MBTA’s rail, bus, and ferry network helps move a million people around Greater Boston every day.
- Dive into the website: You’ll immerse yourself in the ecosystem of teams, tools, data, and processes that inform the work on the website. You’ll learn about the way riders use the website. You’ll get to know the projects and teams that inform when and why new content gets published. You’ll support team members across numerous functions as you learn to take on your own suite of tasks and responsibilities.
We want to hear from you if:
- You have an interest in transit or transportation and how it operates.
- You have formal experience with websites or web content strategy (coursework, on-the-job experience, or other experiences beyond just using consumer tech).
- You like helping others use technology to make their lives better (even if they aren’t as technology-savvy as you are).
- You have experience working responsibly with sensitive items, systems, or data (e.g., handling money, personal information, or credentials).
- You have experience (part-time or full-time) working in the service industry or another field where you worked directly with the public.
- You are highly organized, motivated, and have great attention to detail.
Work experience guidelines:
- Although we’re mostly interested in your ability to do the work listed above as demonstrated in your resume and work samples, here are some guidelines on the capabilities and experience we think might be most suited for this role. Please keep in mind that these are advisory, and not required.
- 2+ years of professional experience in writing for the web, social media, journalism, content management, or a related field.
- Experience working with a publishing tool such as Drupal, Wordpress, or similar.
- Experience working in an agile development environment.
- Experience using online collaboration tools (e.g. Slack, Asana, etc.)
- Working familiarity with HTML and CSS.
- Solid understanding of publishing accessible pages for the web.
- Familiarity with the MBTA transit system as a rider.
- Education in writing or a related field (This could be a college degree, a bootcamp, a certificate program, or something else entirely).
- This role can either be hybrid or remote.
- Unfortunately, we are unable to hire candidates who would perform their work in Washington DC, Connecticut, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Washington, West Virginia, and Puerto Rico.
Pay rate range is $40 - $48 per hour (W-2), up to 1880 hours per year.
This is a full-time hourly position within the Customer Technology Department at the MBTA. We work with payroll vendors that offer benefits such as pre-taxed health insurance, 401k options, and paid sick time.
It is the policy of the Commonwealth that all executive department employees shall be required to demonstrate they have received COVID-19 vaccination and maintain full COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of continuing employment. Read the executive order and press release.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
CTD is dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive environment—it’s essential to the work we do. In order to effectively partner with MBTA departments and do our best work for riders, our team must reflect the wide variety of people who use the MBTA’s services. We welcome people with different strengths, experiences, and backgrounds who share a passion for improving people's lives. Our team is deeply committed to diversity, inclusion, and continual learning. We strive to foster an environment where each individual is valued, feels a sense of belonging, and is welcomed to bring their best self to work.
Here at CTD, we provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate, and manage all personnel without regard to race, color, national origin, cultural identification or expression, socioeconomic background, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, family status, marital status, learning style, neurodiversity, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.
Research has shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for roles unless they believe they meet all qualifications. We strongly encourage candidates from marginalized groups to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of the job qualifications listed. We’re committed to maximizing the diversity of our team and want to hear from anyone who is passionate about our efforts and interested in supporting our work for riders.