Boston, MA /
Customer Technology – Administration /
At the Customer Technology Department (CTD), our mission is to apply modern principles of research, design, and technology to make our transit system easy for all riders to use. Effective and equitable public transit is essential to the social, economic, and environmental progress of Greater Boston.
The MBTA Customer Technology team is working to transform how people get around the Boston area.
We are a team of designers, engineers, product and content specialists charged with bringing novel ideas, modern standards and a user-centered approach to technology at the T. As the MBTA works to reinvent itself, we have a rare opportunity to craft the future of transportation for Boston and communities all around Eastern Massachusetts, as well as pioneer innovations for other transit agencies around the country.
Do you want to improve the daily transportation experience for 4.7 million people in the Boston region? Ready for the challenge? Then read on.
Our finance analyst enables this dynamic team to work on critical projects making transit easier to use for the 51 communities that we serve.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with the development of operating and capital budgets for CTD, including developing and updating the department Proforma and five-year Capital Investment Plan
- Coordinate the preparation of requisitions, track purchase orders, and monitor departmental spending by utilizing PeopleSoft, ERP Financial Systems, the Authority's Capital Management System (CMS), and other Authority budgeting tools
- Review purchase requisitions for coding accuracy and available funding and process them in a timely fashion
- Conduct detailed budget analyses to develop methods to control costs
- Track, analyze, and report on budget trends and variances
- Prepare departmental reports, budget spreadsheets, variance reports, charts, tables and graphs for presentations to department leads
- Review, reconcile, and submit for payment all monthly contractor invoices and supporting documentation
- Assist with all data collection, input, and updating for financial, statistical, and performance data
- Maintain and provide all historical statistical data upon request of CTD staff
- Participate in meetings with both internal and external financial staff regarding all aspects of project budgets, funding and other financial related issues
- Effectively communicate progress, issues and resolution, verbally and in writing, to management regarding budget issues and policies
- Respond to inquiries from vendors or staff in a courteous, timely, and professional manner
- Perform other projects on an as needed basis
- Bachelors' degree or equivalent experience
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite with emphasis on Excel and ability to pass a pre-qualification exam
- Effective organizational, analytical, quantitative, and time management skills
- Meticulous attention to detail with emphasis on accuracy and quality
- Excellent customer service and conflict resolution skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work within a team environment and build strong working relationships
- Ability to influence without authority
- A knack for knowing when to speed things up vs. slow things down
- Adhere to rules, regulations, collective bargaining agreements (if applicable) and policies of the MBTA, including the EEO, anti-discrimination, anti-harassment, and anti-retaliation policies.
This is a full-time hourly position within the Customer Technology Department at the MBTA. We work with payroll vendors that offer benefits such as pre-taxed health insurance, 401k options, and paid sick time. After at least one year on the job, there may be an opportunity to become a salaried employee with the MBTA.
Diversity and inclusion are essential to us at CTD. We believe that we can only design and build tools for our riders if our team reflects the wide variety of people who use MBTA services all over eastern Massachusetts. We strive to be inclusive in our approach to both hiring and product development, and we strongly encourage applicants from historically underrepresented groups to apply for this position.