Technical Project Manager - HASTUS
Boston, MA /
HASTUS – HASTUS /
At the Customer Technology Department (CTD), our mission is to apply modern principles of research, design, and technology to make our transit system easy for all riders to use. Effective and equitable public transit is essential to the social, economic, and environmental progress of Greater Boston.
The MBTA Customer Technology team is working to transform how people get around the Boston area.
We are a team of designers, engineers, product and content specialists charged with bringing novel ideas, modern standards and a user-centered approach to technology at the T. As the MBTA works to reinvent itself, we have a rare opportunity to craft the future of transportation for Boston and communities all around Eastern Massachusetts, as well as pioneer innovations for other transit agencies around the country.
Do you want to improve the daily transportation experience for 4.7 million people in the Boston region? Ready for the challenge? Then read on.
The Technical Project Manager will be responsible to plan, manage, and lead the technical delivery and implementation activities for the HASTUS application version upgrade. The Technical Project Manager will collaborate closely with other IT teams, project teams, and workstreams to plan for, oversee execution, and ensure on-time delivery of deliverables. Further, this role will be responsible to lead a diverse team of employees and contractors performing technical execution activities.
HASTUS is a specialized industry-specific application utilized for transit operations management. The application consists of an integrated suite of modules used for various functions across transit operations, including service planning & analysis, scheduling, employee work & vacation selection, workforce management, day-of-operation management and timekeeping for bus, light rail, and heavy rail transit operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Manager of Enterprise Applications, project workstream leads, and IT stakeholders to establish priorities and schedule resources to meet technical execution needs
- Manage technical / functional, development, integration, and testing / QA teams to carry out the requirements of each project completely on time and on budget
- Facilitate and lead the definition of the project scope, project management/SDLC approach, milestones, tasks, deliverables, and resource requirements for technical delivery efforts
- Develop and maintain project plans, status reports, risk and issue logs, budget/ongoing project forecast of recourses and materials and other project artifacts within the Project/Program Management system of record
- Assist in the development of specifications and the selection of consultants and contractors, as required
- Establish a communication strategy in partnership with the business, IT sponsors, and IT team to effectively communicate application management and/or project related information to team members, program management, and stakeholders throughout project lifecycle
- Schedule, lead, and document meetings, as well as organize and prepare materials to deliver written/oral reports
- Effectively negotiate resource needs and competing priorities with IT and business stakeholders
- Create and execute strategies for risk mitigation and contingency planning, and assist in proactively identifying and resolving potential issues for active projects
- Manage, assess, and negotiate scope changes to projects
- Conduct assigned work in compliance with all department standards, policies, and guidelines
- Ensure workstream engagement throughout the project and foster confidence and trust with stakeholders
- Work laterally with IT and business teams to assure technical delivery expectations are met
- Assist with managing vendor performance and drive deliverables to meet agreed upon target dates and levels of quality
- Coach, mentor, motivate, and supervise project team members
- Escalate issues that require executive, management, or business attention
- Respond to each inquiry, whether from a customer, vendor, or co-worker, in a courteous and professional manner.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with comparable experience in the fields of Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Technology
- Eight (8) years of IT experience with significant depth in application management, development, information management, analysis/reporting, and ITIL
- Three (3) plus years of experience with project management deploying functionality to an ERP system, including various SDLC methodologies from waterfall through agile
- Experience with transit operations management applications, such as HASTUS or Trapeze, preferred
- PMP and/or Scrum Certification preferred
- Demonstrated experience with ServiceNow or similar project and portfolio management system
- Prior experience on projects with federal, state, or local government is desirable
- Ability to manage multiple teams, amongst competing priorities simultaneously
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio, Project, and Teams
- Excellent organizational, analytical, communications, multi-tasking, time management, and interpersonal skills, with ability to utilize data to assert assumptions and develop business cases
- Results oriented person with a delivery focus
- Excellent verbal and written communication and customer service skills
- Ability to pass background screenings; a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check and the MBTA’s medical requirements, including a physical examination and drug and alcohol screening
- Have a satisfactory work record including overall employment, job performance, discipline, and safety records. For internal candidates, the aforementioned applies to the two (2) years immediately prior to the closing date of this posting. Infractions and/or offenses occurring after the closing of the posting and before the filling of a vacancy may preclude a candidate from consideration
- Ability to supervise and work effectively with a diverse workforce
- Ability to work any and all shifts and/or locations as assigned or directed. This may include shifts outside of regular working hours, including early mornings, late at night, and weekends.
- Direct work experience with transit scheduling or transit operations management applications, such as HASTUS or Trapeze FX
- Experience or interest in the public transit or transportation industry
- Experience with cloud platforms, such as Azure or Amazon Web Services (AWS) with client-server application deployments
- Experience with leading industry-specific ERP application version upgrades
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- The work environment will be mostly a hybrid approach, with a combination of 1(one) to 2(two) days on-site and remote work.
- Work during communicated peak periods and not to exceed 40 hours in a week. During peak periods, work assignments may have varied start / end times, and may include weekends.
- The ability to travel to and work from various client facilities within a 15-mile radius from Downtown Boston. The client will not facilitate or provide transportation or transportation allowance.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
CTD is dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive environment—it’s essential to the work we do. In order to effectively partner with MBTA departments and do our best work for riders, our team must reflect the wide variety of people who use the MBTA’s services. We welcome people with different strengths, experiences, and backgrounds who share a passion for improving people's lives. Our team is deeply committed to diversity, inclusion, and continual learning. We strive to foster an environment where each individual is valued, feels a sense of belonging, and is welcomed to bring their best self to work.
Here at CTD, we provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate, and manage all personnel without regard to race, color, national origin, cultural identification or expression, socioeconomic background, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, family status, marital status, learning style, neurodiversity, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.
Research has shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for roles unless they believe they meet all qualifications. We strongly encourage candidates from marginalized groups to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of the job qualifications listed. We’re committed to maximizing the diversity of our team and want to hear from anyone who is passionate about our efforts and interested in supporting our work for riders.