Associate Project Manager
Boston, MA /
Workforce Modernization Program – Business Analysis /
At the Customer Technology Department (CTD), our mission is to apply modern principles of research, design, and technology to make our transit system easy for all riders to use. Effective and equitable public transit is essential to the social, economic, and environmental progress of Greater Boston.
The MBTA Customer Technology team is working to transform how people get around the Boston area.
We are a team of designers, engineers, product and content specialists charged with bringing novel ideas, modern standards and a user-centered approach to technology at the T. As the MBTA works to reinvent itself, we have a rare opportunity to craft the future of transportation for Boston and communities all around Eastern Massachusetts, as well as pioneer innovations for other transit agencies around the country.
Do you want to improve the daily transportation experience for 4.7 million people in the Boston region? Ready for the challenge? Then read on.
The Associate Project Manager will assist the Program Management Team and Director of Workforce Modernization with coordinating project(s) planning and execution, stakeholder management and resource management for the implementation of the Workforce Modernization Program (WMP). The Program is a portfolio of multiple projects focused on continuous improvement initiatives to ensure that the workforce planning, scheduling, and daily service delivery processes and related Operations technology tools are providing superior functionality for the organization and MBTA customers. The Associate Project Manager will report to the Program Manager who will assign the Associate Project Manager oversight of a specific Project(s) within the Program. The Workforce Modernization Program will evaluate and modernize processes and technology (HASTUS and other tools) focused on transit operations, including service planning & analysis, scheduling, employee work & vacation selection, workforce management, day-of-operation management and timekeeping for bus, light rail, and heavy rail operations. This position will perform the following activities and examples, as well as other related tasks as the needs arise.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Project Planning and Execution -
- Manage assigned Projects throughout all project phases, including analysis, development, quality assurance and testing, change management, and sustainability planning
- Assist in the development and own monitoring and maintenance of project scope, budget, schedules, resource allocation plan, and risk register for assigned projects.
- Identify and implement the most appropriate project delivery approach (waterfall, agile, LEAN or a blend of the various project management approaches).
- Work with the Program Management Team prioritize scope and own scope backlog and new requests.
- Coordinate the development and document control management of all project deliverables and all project documents.
- Identify and communicate to Program Leadership any scope creep, cost or schedule risks and assist with developing and implementing mitigation and contingency plans.
- Follow up on actions required for task and project completion while seeking guidance as necessary.
- Develop weekly summary reports, success metrics and KPIs, and regularly report on project progress, risk and schedule on a weekly basis.
- Stakeholder Management -
- Work closely with Transit Operations, MBTA IT, Service Planning and Scheduling, and other MBTA departments to ensure projects are well-coordinated so as to maximize, user impact and funds.
- Manage program team stakeholder requests to maximize stakeholder time.
- Prepare project related correspondence, reports, charts and presentations utilizing Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Resource Management -
- Work in a matrix structure were members of multiple units (Business Analysis, Development, QA & Testing, Change Management, and Sustainability Planning) are assigned to support a project(s). During the project, the supporting team members will continue to report to their Unit Lead, but the Associate Project Manager may assign and oversee work completion.
- Work in partnership with all Unit Leads to determine best resource allocation for the project, task delegation, and overall scope to be completed under by each Unit.
- Serve as a project lead for the supporting team, maintain an action item list for the project, and lead the team on performing tasks to ensure synergy with project requirements, deadlines, and schedules.
Education AND/OR Experience:
- 5+ years of experience with overall project management.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in Business Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, Engineering, or related field.
- Advanced Excel skills and may be asked to demonstrate with an excel assessment**.
- Demonstrate data-driven decision-making skills and a willingness to make test and-learn hypotheses.
- Demonstrate expertise with, and ability to effectively utilize, various project management methodologies (i.e., Waterfall, Agile, Lean, etc.)
- Proficiency with program management/tracking tools including project scheduling tools (such as Microsoft Project, Primavera, or Synchro,) risk registers, and task management tools (such as Asana, One Note, etc.)
- Effective organizational, analytical, confidentiality, quantitative, writing, multitasking and time management skills. (Note NDA required)
- Effective team management and development skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to work within a matrix team structure.
- Demonstrate the ability to garner buy-in from stakeholders at varying level across an organization.
- Demonstrate the ability to think strategically and work in a team environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively manage and motivate staff, particularly in a public sector environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to supervise and work effectively with a diverse workforce.
- Handle sensitive and confidential information in an appropriate manner.
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers, employees and vendors. Excellent customer service and conflict resolution skills.
- Advance skills with Microsoft 360 Office suite.
- Advanced skills in program/portfolio management and schedule development (schedules, Gantt Charts, cost loaded schedules, resource loaded schedules, collaboration and communication) using tools such as Microsoft Project, Primavera P6 or Synchro.
- Experience within the transit industry (public transportation, private busing, airlines, freight, etc.)
- Experience with Program management tracking tools used to analyze risk such as Palisade @Risk.
- Project Manager Professional (PMP) certification
- Six Sigma Training and/or certification
- Lean Training and/or certification
- Agile Training/ Scrum master certification
Physical Demands and Working conditions:
- The work environment will be a hybrid approach. Most weeks will be comprised of one (1) to two (2) days on-site and remote work with Wednesday as the mandatory onsite day. Up to five (5) on-site days may be required based on project tasks. Project tasks requiring additional on-site presence may include but are not limited to stakeholder workshops, change management activities, team workshops, major application rollouts, etc.
- Work during communicated peak periods and not to exceed 40 hours in a week. During peak periods, work assignments may have varied start / end times, and may include weekends.
- The ability to travel to and work from various client facilities within a 15-mile radius from Downtown Boston. The client will not facilitate or provide transportation or transportation allowance.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- This role will be hybrid, with 1-2 days a week onsite expected.
Pay rate range is $65 - $68 per hour (W-2), up to 1880 hours per year.
This is a full-time hourly position within the Customer Technology Department at the MBTA. We work with payroll vendors that offer benefits such as pre-taxed health insurance, 401k options, and paid sick time.
It is the policy of the Commonwealth that all executive department employees shall be required to demonstrate they have received COVID-19 vaccination and maintain full COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of continuing employment. Read the executive order and press release.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
CTD is dedicated to creating a diverse and inclusive environment—it’s essential to the work we do. In order to effectively partner with MBTA departments and do our best work for riders, our team must reflect the wide variety of people who use the MBTA’s services. We welcome people with different strengths, experiences, and backgrounds who share a passion for improving people's lives. Our team is deeply committed to diversity, inclusion, and continual learning. We strive to foster an environment where each individual is valued, feels a sense of belonging, and is welcomed to bring their best self to work.
Here at CTD, we provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate, and manage all personnel without regard to race, color, national origin, cultural identification or expression, socioeconomic background, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, family status, marital status, learning style, neurodiversity, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds.
Research has shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for roles unless they believe they meet all qualifications. We strongly encourage candidates from marginalized groups to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of the job qualifications listed. We’re committed to maximizing the diversity of our team and want to hear from anyone who is passionate about our efforts and interested in supporting our work for riders.