Head of Product Management
Boston, MA /
Customer Technology – Product /
At the Customer Technology Department (CTD), our mission is to apply modern principles of research, design, and technology to make our transit system easy for all riders to use. Effective and equitable public transit is essential to the social, economic, and environmental progress of Greater Boston.
The MBTA Customer Technology team is working to transform how people get around the Boston area.
We are a team of designers, engineers, product and content specialists charged with bringing novel ideas, modern standards and a user-centered approach to technology at the T. As the MBTA works to reinvent itself, we have a rare opportunity to craft the future of transportation for Boston and communities all around Eastern Massachusetts, as well as pioneer innovations for other transit agencies around the country.
Do you want to improve the daily transportation experience for 4.7 million people in the Boston region? Ready for the challenge? Then read on.
The MBTA’s Customer Technology Department [CTD] is looking for an analytical, collaborative, entrepreneurial, and creative Head of Product Management to help us produce the best results for our riders and operations staff. Reporting to the Chief Digital Officer, you will be responsible for helping steward a team that owns the strategy, roadmap, and development of our various public transit software applications.
Successful candidates will take a data-driven approach to product development, establish product practices, and balance multiple competing priorities while maintaining a rapid pace of product delivery. You will work closely with our Program Area Leads in Fare Transformation, Digital Ride, Transit Technology, and Website; and our functional Leads in Research and Design, Content, and Engineering. You will oversee the management and analysis of our existing products and collaborate with Program Area Leads to identify compelling new opportunities to improve the public transit experience for riders and operations staff.
As the key leader on the Product team, you will need to be an experienced and empathetic people manager capable of providing guidance, feedback, and direction to an energetic team of Product Managers at various levels in their careers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drive product practices, road mapping, and execution across the organization
- Working with the Program Leads and product managers, set and maintain a robust product vision and roadmap spanning the department’s goals and products.
- Think strategically and continually share that strategy. You will hone a compelling product strategy that includes a strong understanding of:
- Collaboratively establish product/project prioritization criteria. Help apply this criteria when go/no-go decisions arise.
- Assist Program Leads in scoping and planning for new products or initiatives that will help CTD advance its vision.
- Advise on the impact of the trade-offs of investing in one product over another, and help coordinate work across product teams in order to deliver coordinated improvements to the rider experience and operational capabilities
- Partner with key internal stakeholders – program area and functional leadership – to develop strategic product planning and success metrics that inform longer-term funding plans for final review and agreement within CTD leadership.
- Collaborate with our content and design teams to develop a clear and compelling internal marketing strategy for our products. The Chief Digital Officer and Program Lead will use this to build awareness among MBTA’s senior leadership of the importance and criticality of the department’s work.
- Roll metrics from various teams into higher-level metrics that provide insight into the impact of the department as a whole.
-The inclusive needs of all MBTA riders
-What it means to equitably serve the diverse populations that rely on public transit
-The landscape of technology and existing platforms that are available to us
-How to build compelling and useful products for our riders and operations staff
-How to focus on outcomes and measure success effectively
Create and empower a professional product management discipline:
- Recruit, develop, and retain experienced product managers who have overseen multiple stages of the lifecycle of high-impact products.
- Manage product managers across a variety of skill levels and interconnected areas, empowering them to work effectively.
- Clearly define and get departmental buy-in on PMs’ roles and responsibilities and the adoption of simple product processes that bring consistency, repeatability, and clarity of expectations across product work
- With the support of Program Leads, help PMs to understand and navigate internal politics and develop skills to work effectively within a large public-sector organization.
- Foster a strong product culture that focuses on the importance of execution – relying on continuous, rapid testing and learning.
- Build programs to train and support new PMs through empathetic mentoring. Focusing on the modern forms of product planning, customer discovery, product discovery, and product development process.
Work Experience Guidelines (minimum education):
- Formal education in product management, design, usability, transportation planning, computer science, engineering, economics, urban planning, data science, public administration, or a related field. (This could be a college degree, a bootcamp, a certificate program, or something else entirely)
Physical Demands and working conditions:
- This is primarily an in-office job, you will be expected to work successfully in an office setting including the physical demands of working at a desk and participating in in-person meetings within their assigned building and at other sites across the region.
- In the course of performing your work duties, you will be expected to visit MBTA stations, stops, buses, trains, and garages.
- When required (as during the COVID-19 pandemic) this job will shift to remote work.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is a full-time hourly position within the Customer Technology Department at the MBTA. We work with payroll vendors that offer benefits such as pre-taxed health insurance, 401k options, and paid sick time. After at least one year on the job, there may be an opportunity to become a salaried employee with the MBTA.
Diversity and inclusion are essential to us at CTD. We believe that we can only design and build tools for our riders if our team reflects the wide variety of people who use MBTA services all over eastern Massachusetts. We strive to be inclusive in our approach to both hiring and product development, and we strongly encourage applicants from historically underrepresented groups to apply for this position.