Communications & Engagement Specialist
United States /
President's Office /
The Patrick J. McGovern Foundation (PJMF) is a private foundation dedicated to advancing artificial intelligence and data science solutions to create a thriving, equitable, and sustainable future for all. PJMF works in partnership with public, private and social institutions to drive progress on our most pressing challenges, including digital health, climate change, broad digital access, and data maturity in the social sector.
For more information, please visit our website at https://www.mcgovern.org/. Core to PJMF’s mission is inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility (IDEA). We apply the IDEA framework to all we do, from growing a diverse team within the foundation to coalition building with organizations and people around the world, and to democratizing the development and rewards of AI and data.
As a member of the Office of the President, the Communications & Engagement Specialist will be deeply committed to PJMF’s purpose to create a thriving, equitable, and sustainable future for all. This person will lead social media management, communications, brand management, website management, blog creation and curation, and content creation in a fast paced and innovative philanthropic organization.
How you will make an impact:
- Collaborate with the foundation leaders to support communication needs for our programmatic work
- Partner with our People Team to develop an internal communication strategy focusing on increasing employee engagement
- Develop story ideas, report, write and edit content for PJMF internal and external communication channels, including our website, medium, news releases and social media
- Curate PJMF’s social media channels – using sound judgment and creativity to consistently produce engaging stories and visuals – photos, videos, graphics, animations – that raise the foundation’s profile and inspire engagement with our target audience
- Write, design, produce, and deploy creative content for social media presence and events by working collaboratively across internal teams
- Assist with pitching stories to journalists and building stronger relationships mass-market publications
- Map out a content strategy and editorial calendar that supports and advances the Foundation’s objectives, both short- and long-term, while clearly articulating the philanthropic goal behind the creation of a piece (or series) of content
- Drive a steady drumbeat of high-impact and high-influential multimedia that grows brand awareness and positions PJMF as a leader in accelerating public engagement around how data and AI can support good for humanity
- Integrate and translate key themes and topics that emerge in the Foundation’s work into compelling articles, blogs, press releases, email marketing messages, case studies, presentation content, survey reports, and web copy
- Own social analytics and insights, track performance and optimize content execution
- Build and curate an asset archive
- Stay up-to-date with the latest news and research trends in the Foundation’s areas of interest
- Other special projects as assigned
What you will need to succeed:
- Experience - The ideal candidate will have 7+ years of experience working in a fast-paced industry or non-profit communications department. Technology or agency backgrounds are welcome. Demonstrated experience as a communications lead with experience establishing media relationships is preferred.
- Subject familiarity - Experience in building communications platform across the private, public, and social sectors with broad exposure to AI-type portfolios; baseline knowledge of AI, data science, and/or other related areas
- Field acumen - broad expertise in a variety of the following areas: communications, media relations, marketing, journalism, and social media
- Passion - genuine enthusiasm for building a better future in the digital era and ensuring that the benefits of technological advancement are shared by all
- Executive presence - experience working as an advisor and counselor to leaders; extremely tactful in maintaining discretion and confidentiality
- Story telling - Outstanding writing and editing skills; demonstrated ability to ideate and craft compelling content for a broad spectrum of communications channels
- Teamwork - Effective team player who understands the responsibility every individual brings to the table and how to encourage and drive results from each team member
- High Performance - Ability to quickly learn new technologies and methodologies to ensure successful and timely completion of product development
- Results-oriented - Highly organized and detail-oriented, self-driven and able to adapt to learning and implementing new technologies, and creative in solving issues as they arise
- Cultural alignment - An advocate for social progress; interest in emerging technologies and their ability to advance societal outcomes.
- Flexibility and Initiative - Develop the internal relationships and individual drive to move work quickly and effectively in a 100% remote, fast-moving team.
- Work Eligibility - Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.
What we offer:
- Competitive Salary – Anticipated starting salary of $75,000 - $95,000 with flexibility based on experience
- Health Coverage – Foundation-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees, spouses/domestic partners, and dependents. HSA/FSA plans, life insurance, and short- and long-term disability coverage
- Long-term Rewards – 401(k) retirement plan with generous matching up to 6% of annual pay, plus an additional discretionary match at the end of year
- Flexible PTO – Unlimited paid time off, which allows team members to take the time they need for vacation or illness so they can return to work able to contribute fully to our mission. The foundation recognizes 11 paid national holidays per year and may also announce closure for local, regional, or state holidays
- Remote Work Environment – Ability to work 100% remotely, but not alone - with mature, socially minded professionals
- Wellness Support – Access to Ginger, Gympass, Headspace, and SmartSpend Plus, along with financial well-being providers
- Parental Leave – Up to 6 months of gender-neutral paid leave for parents and caregivers when they have a new addition to their families
- Learning Reimbursements – Foundation policy encouraging employees to explore development opportunities such as peer learning, internal trainings, and external activities; savings on student loans (available via insurance provider)
- Philanthropic Gift Matching – Opportunity for team members to support vulnerable communities, reflecting PJMF’s commitment to social impact
The attributes listed above represent our current thinking for the role. You can be a great candidate even if you don't fit everything we've described below. You can also have important skills we haven't thought of. If that's you - even if you’re on the fence - we encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself!
We have built an environment that celebrates the differences in backgrounds and experiences. PJMF invests in activities that lead to greater inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility in how AI and data are conceptualized, developed, applied, and deployed. We are applying the same framework as our team grows and expands. We are an equal opportunity employer and we especially encourage and invite members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
All PJMF team members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.