Strategic Grants /
The Patrick J. McGovern Foundation (PJMF) is a private foundation dedicated to advancing artificial intelligence and data science solutions to create a thriving, equitable, and sustainable future for all. PJMF works in partnership with public, private and social institutions to drive progress on our most pressing challenges, including digital health, climate change, broad digital access, and data maturity in the social sector.
For more information, please visit our website at https://www.mcgovern.org/. Core to PJMF’s mission is inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility (IDEA). We apply the IDEA framework to all we do, from growing a diverse team within the foundation to coalition building with organizations and people around the world, and to democratizing the development and rewards of AI and data.
Strategy Analysts advance PJMF’s mission by supporting our efforts to allocate resources to AI and data solutions that help create a thriving, equitable, and sustainable future. They are responsible for a set of activities that enable the Foundation’s Strategic Grants team to deploy grant dollars efficiently and effectively, including: monitoring and conducting research on the broader fields of data and AI for good, identifying and evaluating potential grant partners, synthesizing outcomes and lessons learned from existing grants, and providing flexible project support across the Strategic Grants team.
This role reports to the Director of Strategic Grants.
How you will make an impact:
- Develop and maintain a working understanding of PJMF’s grantmaking focus areas and the role of data and AI solutions within them. In particular, Analysts will be asked to support our work in Emergent AI & Society, Data as a Public Good, and Climate.
- Design and lead field sensing and landscape analyses that help PJMF stay abreast of new developments, opportunities, and shifts in the fields of AI and data science, and how they can be applied to drive social good.
- Conduct research and outreach, and lead early-stage conversations, to identify nonprofit and civil society organizations whose work aligns with PJMF’s strategy and may be a fit for grant funding.
- Synthesize learnings from grant reports and external sources into insights that contribute to grantmaking strategy development and the Foundation’s broader work in convening and thought leadership.
- Provide flexible, project-based support across the Strategic Grants team as we build systems and team practices that enable effective, efficient, and high-impact grantmaking.
What you will need to succeed:
- Subject Matter Knowledge Work experience (private, nonprofit, philanthropic, or public sector), and/or graduate level education, that includes demonstrated exposure to and engagement with issues related to data, AI, and their role in enabling social good. Working understanding of and conversant in vocabulary related to data science, AI/ML, and technology product development.
- Fast and Nimble Learner. Quickly synthesize information, identify gaps, and deliver recommendations. Regularly assess progress and make adjustments to approach as needed.
- Team-oriented Independence. Pair an ability and desire to work independently with a willingness to check in with leadership and/or teammates on a variable cadence depending on the specifics of a project and its context.
- Strategic Thinking and Communication. Organize complex information into clear frameworks, and identify open questions and areas for further learning. Communicate outputs from research, analysis, and other activities in a clear, concise, and structured manner.
- Work Product Excellence. Maintain and model a high standard for written and visual communication (e.g. memos; emails; presentations).
- External Engagement. Be a thoughtful, responsible representative of the Foundation and remain mindful of power dynamics when interacting with external stakeholders. Proactively identify potential issues or roadblocks in external relationships and follow team norms when addressing them.
- Judgment. Build an instinct for seeing around corners to anticipate how any given project or decision may impact internal and external stakeholders, and exercise great judgment every day.
- Intellectual Curiosity. Demonstrate an interest in and openness to new ideas, and a willingness to take intellectual risks. Remain naturally curious about technology.
- Passion. Maintain genuine enthusiasm for building a better future in the digital era and ensuring that the benefits of technological advancement are shared by all.
- Commitment to Equity. Consistently question dominant narratives and seek to include the perspectives of underrepresented voices when assessing a potential course of action.
- Flexibility and Initiative. Develop the internal relationships and individual drive to move work quickly and effectively in a 100% remote, fast-moving team.
- Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.
What we offer:
- Competitive Salary – We anticipate the starting salary for this role to be $65,000 - $105,000.
- Health Insurance – Foundation-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your dependents; disability and life insurance; flexible spending accounts
- 401(k) Matching – generous matching up to 6% of annual pay, plus an additional discretionary match
- Flexible PTO – progressive approach to PTO reflecting our respect for diversity, commitment to our team members, and ability to adapt to changing employee values
- SmartSpend Plus – employee discounts on a wide variety of products and services, from home goods and the latest gadgets to monthly bills and big-ticket buys
- Parental Leave – Up to 6 months of gender-neutral paid leave for parents and caregivers when they have a new addition to their families
- Learning & Development – company reimbursement policy, allowing employees to explore development opportunities such as peer learning, internal trainings, and external activities or conferences; savings on student loans (available via insurance provider)
- Philanthropic Matching Gift Program – opportunity for team members to support vulnerable communities, reflecting PJMF’s commitment to social impact
The attributes listed above represent our current thinking for the role. You can be a great candidate even if you don't fit everything we've described below. You can also have important skills we haven't thought of. If that's you - even if you’re on the fence - we encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself!
We have built an environment that celebrates the differences in backgrounds and experiences. PJMF invests in activities that lead to greater inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility in how AI and data are conceptualized, developed, applied, and deployed. We are applying the same framework as our team grows and expands. We are an equal opportunity employer and we especially encourage and invite members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
All PJMF team members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.