People & Culture Manager
United States /
People & Culture /
The Patrick J. McGovern Foundation (PJMF) is a private foundation dedicated to advancing artificial intelligence and data science solutions to create a thriving, equitable, and sustainable future for all. PJMF works in partnership with public, private and social institutions to drive progress on our most pressing challenges, including digital health, climate change, broad digital access, and data maturity in the social sector.
For more information, please visit our website at https://www.mcgovern.org/. Core to PJMF’s mission is inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility (IDEA). We apply the IDEA framework to all we do, from growing a diverse team within the foundation to coalition building with organizations and people around the world, and to democratizing the development and rewards of AI and data.
About the role:
The Manager of People and Culture will be deeply committed to PJMF’s purpose to create a thriving, equitable, and sustainable future for all by leading a broad range of essential human resources functions. We’re looking for an enthusiastic hands-on people leader who is strategic and visionary. The role will have direct involvement in various People and Culture functions, including: sourcing, recruitment, learning and development, diversity and inclusion, employee relations, retention, internal communications, and career development. This position will report to the Vice President of People. By joining PJMF, you are part of an ambitious team of changemakers who embrace a “try it” mentality, who have a restless curiosity, who challenge assumptions, and embrace grit.
How you will make an impact:
- Source talent through high volume outreach via a diverse set of sourcing channels such as job sites, social media platforms, industry events, industry specific membership groups, and diverse college and university networks
- Design, refine, and implement innovative recruitment strategies
- Work closely with managers to gain a comprehensive understanding of department specific hiring needs and meet competitive hiring goals and expectations, including a 45-50 day time to fill goal
- Manage the full recruitment lifecycle across a variety of open roles, helping managers find, hire, and retain quality candidates, for both operational and highly technical roles
- Screen resumes and CVs and manage job candidates throughout the hiring process, from interview preparation to final offer
- Remain active with job boards, social networks, and platforms for finding quality candidates, and create and post job descriptions and announcements
- Identify needs and build tools to educate and support our hiring managers in effective interviewing and selection skills
- Lead the successful launch of PJMF’s Rotational Program
- Support new hires and managers through the onboarding processes including new employee orientation and 30/60 day check-ins
- Support HR communications with new hires in collaboration with the Operations Team to ensure a seamless onboarding experience
- Obsess over the employee experience and identify interdependencies of HR projects and programs to ensure frictionless employee experiences
- Build and execute annual engagement calendar include IDEA initiatives and events
- Conceptualize and draft internal communications to drive awareness of People Team programs
- Champion and build positive employee relations culture and work environment
- Embrace and lead org-wide change initiatives and be a culture steward
- Building and maintain an annual learning and development calendar
- Evaluate the effectiveness of L&D programs using a learning evaluation framework
- Support the launch of career development initiatives
- Other duties as assigned by the VP of People
What you will need to succeed:
- Subject Matter Knowledge and Experience. Demonstrated experience as a human resources manager with solid program and project management experience in designing HR programs from concept to implementation. Familiarity with DEI recruitment methods, onboarding best practices, adult learning theory, learning evaluation, and various application tracking softwares. Working understanding of ATS and LMS system implementation, and project management.
- Fast and Nimble Learner. Quickly synthesize information, identify gaps, and deliver recommendations. Regularly assess progress and make adjustments to approach as needed.
- Strategic Thinking and Communication. Organize complex information into clear memos and recommendation formats. Identify open questions and areas for further learning. Exceptional written and verbal communicator, with strong executive presence.
- Work Product Excellence. Maintain and model a high standard for written and visual communication (e.g. memos; emails; presentations, dashboards).
- Judgment. Build an instinct for seeing around corners to anticipate how any given project or decision may impact internal and external stakeholders, and exercise great judgment every day.
- Intellectual Curiosity. Demonstrate an interest in and openness to new ideas, and a willingness to take intellectual risks. Remain naturally curious about technology.
- Passion. Maintain genuine enthusiasm for building a better future in the digital era and ensuring that the benefits of technological advancement are shared by all
- Cross-functional Skills. Experience successfully demonstrating the cultural competency to work across diverse populations and the ability to build authentic relationships with internal and external stakeholders alike
- Technologies. Highly proficient in programs such as Asana, MS Office, Google Suite, Slack, Canva.
- Solutions-Driven. Strong bias to action and ability to work both quickly and to a high quality in ambiguous environment with high levels of change
- Teamwork. Self-management skills and ability to work as part of a nimble and fast-moving team; strong multitasking and parallel development abilities
- Commitment to Equity. Consistently question dominant narratives and seek to include the perspectives of underrepresented voices when assessing a potential course of action.
- Flexibility and Initiative. Develop the internal relationships and individual drive to move work quickly and effectively in a 100% remote, fast-moving team.
- Work Eligibility. Applicants must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. We are unable to sponsor or take over sponsorship of an employment Visa at this time.
What we offer:
- Competitive Salary – We anticipate the starting salary for this role to be $85,000 - $110,000.
- Health Insurance – Foundation-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your dependents; disability and life insurance; flexible spending accounts
- 401(k) Matching – Generous matching up to 6% of annual pay, plus an additional discretionary match
- Flexible PTO – Progressive approach to PTO reflecting our respect for diversity, commitment to our team members, and ability to adapt to changing employee values
- SmartSpend Plus – Employee discounts on a wide variety of products and services, from home goods and the latest gadgets to monthly bills and big-ticket buys
- Parental Leave – Up to 6 months of gender-neutral paid leave for parents and caregivers when they have a new addition to their families
- Learning & Development – Company reimbursement policy, allowing employees to explore development opportunities such as peer learning, internal trainings, and external activities or conferences; savings on student loans (available via insurance provider)
- Philanthropic Matching Gift Program – Opportunity for team members to support vulnerable communities, reflecting PJMF’s commitment to social impact
The attributes listed above represent our current thinking for the role. You can be a great candidate even if you don't fit everything we've described below. You can also have important skills we haven't thought of. If that's you - even if you’re on the fence - we encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself!
We have built an environment that celebrates the differences in backgrounds and experiences. PJMF invests in activities that lead to greater inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility in how AI and data are conceptualized, developed, applied, and deployed. We are applying the same framework as our team grows and expands. We are an equal opportunity employer and we especially encourage and invite members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
All PJMF team members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.