The Patrick J. McGovern Foundation (PJMF) is a private foundation dedicated to advancing artificial intelligence and data science solutions to create a thriving, equitable, and sustainable future for all. PJMF works in partnership with public, private and social institutions to drive progress on our most pressing challenges, including digital health, climate change, broad digital access, and data maturity in the social sector.
For more information, please visit our website at https://www.mcgovern.org/. Core to PJMF’s mission is inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility (IDEA). We apply the IDEA framework to all we do, from growing a diverse team within the foundation to coalition building with organizations and people around the world, and to democratizing the development and rewards of AI and data.
About the role:
The Controller will be deeply committed to PJMF’s purpose to create a thriving, equitable, and sustainable future for all through the advancement of AI and data solutions. In this role, you will have primary hands-on responsibility for the daily accounting, cash flow, internal reporting, tax compliance, and budget functions for the foundation’s grant and administrative budget of $70-$75M annually. You will ensure accurate accounting and recordkeeping of all financial transactions, and produce timely financial statements in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”). You will also play a key role in documenting, updating, and ensuring compliance with the foundation’s accounting policies and procedures, and with tax matters. This position will report to the Vice President of Operations (VPO).
How you will make an impact:
As the primary professional fully dedicated to the accounting function, you will be a key member of the operations team and engage with staff from across the foundation as well as external vendors and service providers. You will proactively manage and further develop the technology-forward accounting and financial reporting systems that provide accurate, transparent information for budget managers and senior leadership. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced accounting professional with deep knowledge of GAAP who proactively seeks opportunities to improve and strengthen practices, works efficiently, and takes great pride in maintaining a high-caliber financial operation. Specific performance objectives and responsibilities for the Controller position include:
General Accounting and Reporting
- Maintain general ledger, post day-to-day transactions, and other accounting records needed for the preparation of the financial statements. Post journal entries.
- Ensure that financial reporting on internal dashboards is accurate by posting transactions on a current basis. Prepare interim financial statements and monthly financial reports that comply with generally accepted accounting principles. Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reporting packages, ensuring timely delivery by internal deadlines.
- Reconcile and update investment balances per book to monthly reporting provided by the outsourced chief investment officer (OCIO). Account for and report on legacy investments as needed. Assist the VPO in the preparation of spending analyses and semi-annual endowment draws
- Maintain charts of accounts, vendor reporting, and accounting system reports
- Ensure that the foundation’s financial activities are executed in accordance with the Foundation’s accounting policies and procedures. Evaluate and streamline accounting processes and software
- Oversee vendor management and accounts payable functions for vendors and employees. Review and approve invoices for payment and processing in Bill.com
- Manage the annual audit process. Prepare audit schedules, financial statements, and footnotes for the foundation’s year-end financial statement audit. Provide support to the auditors during the annual audit. Address management letter comments and auditor recommendations
- Reconcile financial information from the grants management system (cash basis and accrual), maintaining the schedule of grants payable together with grants paid. Reconcile Bill.com, Expensify, and other subsidiary applications to the general ledger
- Reconcile credit card accounts and travel expense reporting. Review travel expenses and activity for accuracy and reasonableness in keeping with the foundation’s values of good stewardship
- Maintain current relevant knowledge of GAAP
Systems Enhancement and Development
- Design and build reports, dashboards, and other tools supporting transparent communication that provide real-time information for senior leadership and managers
- Seek opportunities to leverage technology to expedite routine functions and increase the transparency of accounting
- Collaborate with the Grants Manager to design and integrate the foundation’s grants management system with the financial systems, ensuring strong internal controls
Tax Compliance and Planning
- Prepare IRS Forms 1099 and 1096 and partner with the tax preparers to compile accurate tax returns, IRS 990-PF, IRS 990-T, MA Form PC, CA form 109 and RRF-1, and other returns as may be necessary. Ensure timely filing of all returns
- Provide information to the auditing firm as requested in connection with the review and preparation of estimated tax payment calculations. Make estimated payments following review and approval of the VPO
- Resolve open state and federal tax return matters as they arise, keeping the VPO informed until fully addressed. Engage with foundation auditors to address matters
- Maintain current knowledge of regulatory requirements affecting philanthropic institutions
- Collaborate with the VPO to prepare the annual operating budget and cash flow projections, and support budget managers as may be necessary for budget development and review process
- Support the VPO with the preparation of the annual spending projection and prepare minimum distribution calculation monthly updates
- Prepare the monthly budget vs. actual reporting and variance analysis and quarterly rolling forecast updates. Track disbursements to ensure IRS minimum distribution requirements are met
Payroll and Benefits
- Engage with the foundation’s PEO and outsourced 401K providers to administer accurate payroll and employee benefits programs
- Process semi-monthly payroll and 401k contributions. Ensure that W-2’s are processed in a timely fashion
- Distribute required 401k plan notices and support annual compliance testing
- Collaborate with the People team in their administration of employee benefits renewals. Assist with new hire onboarding
- Serve as the primary administrative contact for foundation banking and credit card relationships
- Assist with the implementation and management of the foundation’s privacy and document retention policies
- Maintain strong contacts with foundation financial institutions and credit card firms
- Complete industry compensation and cost surveys
- Support the VPO with other administrative tasks as needed
What You Will Need to Succeed
- Experience - demonstrated accounting and financial management experience as a professional leader with strong technical accounting experience. CPA or public accounting experience preferred
- Financial Skills - possesses a detail orientation with exceptional analysis and presentation skills with accuracy that reflects a big picture perspective
- Technologies - highly proficient in utilizing and maximizing functionality of data systems and tools and analysis, and exceptionally skilled with accounting/financial software systems (Sage Intacct, Expensify, and Bill.com) and business tools such as Asana, MS Office, and Google Suite
- Communication - exceptional written and verbal communicator. Must be able to maintain the highest level of discretion and confidentiality with sensitive information
- Solutions-Driven - strong bias to action and ability to work both quickly and to a high quality in an ambiguous environment with high levels of change
- Client-Oriented - excel at working through influence, winning the trust of senior leadership and staff, effectively moving initiatives forward with multiple stakeholders
- Passion - genuine enthusiasm for building a better future in the digital era and ensuring that the benefits of technological advancement are shared by all
- Teamwork - self-management skills and ability to work as part of a nimble and fast-moving team; strong multitasking and parallel development abilities
- Philanthropic grant-making and/or data management and research experience with an interest in social investing, capacity building, and/or AI and tech
- 100% Remote - desire to work remotely, but not alone - with mature, socially minded professionals
What We Offer
- Competitive Salary – We anticipate the starting salary range for this role to be $130,000-$170,000, with flexibility based on the experience you bring.
- Health Coverage – foundation-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees, spouses/domestic partners, and dependents. HSA/FSA plans, life insurance, and short- and long-term disability coverage
- Long-term Rewards – 401(k) retirement plan with generous matching up to 6% of annual pay, plus an additional discretionary match at the end of year
- Flexible PTO – Unlimited paid time off, which allows team members to take the time they need for vacation or illness so they can return to work able to contribute fully to our mission. The foundation recognizes 11 paid national holidays per year and may also announce closure for local, regional, or state holidays
- Remote Work Environment - Ability to work 100% remotely, but not alone - with mature, socially minded professionals
- Wellness Support – Access to Ginger, Gympass, Headspace, and SmartSpend Plus, along with financial well-being providers
- Parental Leave – Up to 6 months of gender-neutral paid leave for parents and caregivers when they have a new addition to their families
- Learning Reimbursements – foundation policy encouraging employees to explore development opportunities such as peer learning, internal trainings, and external activities; savings on student loans (available via insurance provider)
- Philanthropic Gift Matching – opportunity for team members to support vulnerable communities, reflecting PJMF’s commitment to social impact
The attributes listed above represent our current thinking for the role. You can be a great candidate even if you don't fit everything we've described below. You can also have important skills we haven't thought of. If that's you - even if you’re on the fence - we encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself!
We have built an environment that celebrates the differences in backgrounds and experiences. PJMF invests in activities that lead to greater inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility in how AI and data are conceptualized, developed, applied, and deployed. We are applying the same framework as our team grows and expands. We are an equal opportunity employer and we especially encourage and invite members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply.
All PJMF team members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.