Growth Lead, Actuator
Growth – Growth /
Mechanism is an early-stage venture firm that partners with entrepreneurs to launch and scale ambitious companies.
In our model, we work to identify and validate opportunities before launching each startup. We then provide the growth expertise to drive early traction as well as the business support to establish positive unit economics, profitability, and scale.
In addition to investment and strategic guidance, we offer extensive operational support for our startups in critical areas, including Growth Marketing, Product, Operations, People, Finance, and Legal. Our in-house experts are at the tops of their fields and are here to provide world-class support to help our startups get off the ground and scale.
Our team has a track record of cofounding and investing in multiple companies with $100M+ revenue.
Mechanism owns and operates an internal business called Actuator, whose profits and learnings subsidize Mechanism’s core mission of launching and scaling ambitious companies. Actuator houses several operational properties, including high-traffic websites and D2C eCommerce business units.
The Growth Lead role is responsible for all activities related to these entities housed within Actuator, including growth marketing, P&L ownership, profit maximization, day-to-day operations, global supply chain and logistics optimization, vendor management, and more. There is a significant opportunity to optimize and scale the current operations to fuel positive unit economics and nearly limitless ROI.
The Growth Lead will be the primary person executing most tasks and day-to-day work to sustain and scale operations. This is a role for someone who enjoys being hands-on in order to drive operational excellence and growth.
The right candidate will be motivated by Mechanism’s overall mission and excited by this opportunity to take over several already-successful operations while learning from subject matter experts and industry leaders. The goal is to continue to innovate and elevate the performance of the Actuator businesses in unique ways, which directly fuels Mechanism’s success and the success of our portfolio companies.
The Growth Lead will have access to Mechanism’s in-house Practice Areas for operational support across Growth, Product, Engineering, Design, Operations, People, Finance, and Legal. Our in-house experts are at the tops of their fields and are here to provide world-class support and expertise as the company scales and fills important long-term roles directly within Actuator and operates in a stand-alone fashion.
This role reports to Mechanism’s VP of Growth.
What You'll Do
- Own and be accountable for the growth and P&Ls of each Actuator business unit.
- Oversee and execute day-to-day operations within Actuator. A successful candidate will be comfortable doing most of the work themselves and bring in resources when there’s a clear value add or opportunity.
- Manage all vendor relationships.
- Oversee global supply chain and logistics, including the delivery of products to Amazon and for fulfillment from vendors. This will also include managing the import of supplies and goods into the US from overseas manufacturers.
- Brainstorm, strategize, scope, and execute numerous growth marketing initiatives to help drive business growth and learning.
- Design operational and testing frameworks to identify and optimize growth campaigns that improve efficiency and scale.
- Manage growth analytics and insight tools to drive performance across all funnels.
- Identify, test, and scale new customer acquisition channels.
- 5+ years of experience managing paid social and SEM channels at a large scale.
- 5+ years of experience with direct-to-consumer product businesses. Nice to have is experience working with Amazon as a distribution partner.
- Deep expertise across primarily SEM but also general experience with paid media, social, SEO, affiliate, growth product, referral, and retention marketing. You’ve played the part of a full-stack marketer and understand how to integrate developers and development initiatives to accelerate business growth.
- Deep analytical and strategic expertise across growth modeling, funnel optimization, A/B testing, growth product, and digital marketing.
- Analytical and data-driven background, with a proven ability to extract valuable insights and narratives from large sets of data.
- A test-and-learn mindset as ideas evolve.
- Interest in driving change, adoption, and scaling successful businesses.
- Excellent communication skills.
- You thrive in a high-velocity, outcome-oriented environment where growth is in our company-wide DNA.
- You can make complicated things simple and foster an environment of rapid execution, learning, and fun.
- You are entrepreneurial and relentlessly resourceful.
- You are genuine and bring an enthusiastic, professional demeanor. We have a very strict no-jerk policy and do not tolerate intellectual arrogance.
What to Expect:
- Market dynamics change on a near-daily basis. Thus, being highly adaptable and flexible is critical to be successful in this role. However, we’d like to share a general idea of the direct impact you could make within the first three months on the team:
- Cultivate a strong understanding of all of Actuator operations, history, and components.
- Develop a strong rapport with the Mechanism and Actuator teams.
- Build a strong understanding of current growth capabilities and initiatives across all of Mechanism.
- Take full operational and P&L responsibility of Actuator.
- Maintain and scale performance of the existing Actuator business units.
- Work closely with the Mechanism team as needed to ensure Actuator has everything it needs.
- Scale the Actuator businesses to maximize profitability and learnings.
- Optimize and scale Actuator’s operational excellence and capabilities.
- Work with Mechanism’s leadership team, Practice Areas, and invested startups in collaborating on growth marketing experiments. Distill and share findings with the broader team to inform growth strategy in other areas where relevant.
This role will include competitive base compensation with significant upside potential based on performance.
This role is full-time.
We are fully remote. You can work wherever you’re most productive.