Software Engineer, Distributed Systems (Path Forward Returnship)
San Mateo, CA, USA
Engineering – Software Engineering
Medallia’s mission is simple: to create a world where companies are loved by customers and employees alike. Hundreds of the world’s best-loved brands trust Medallia’s Software-as-a-Service application to help them capture customer feedback everywhere the customer is (on the phone, in store, online, mobile), understand it in real-time, and deliver insights and action everywhere—from the C-suite to the frontline—to improve their performance. Founded in 2001, Medallia is growing quickly with more than 1000 employees globally in Silicon Valley, New York, London, Paris, Sydney, Buenos Aires, Austin, Washington D.C., and Tel Aviv.
The Path Forward Return to Work program at Medallia is a 16- week paid internship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to women and men who have at least 5 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least two years to focus on caring for a child or other dependent. If you meet these criteria, we welcome you to apply.
At Medallia, we are excited to be part of the Path Forward program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other women and men transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
- As a Software Engineer on the Distributed Systems team, you will be joining a highly talent team of engineers responsible for the backbone of our Customer Experience Management(CEM) service. We are looking for you to utilize the latest in open source technology to develop our platforms to engage with our client’s customers.
- You will get the opportunity to represent some of the world’s most recognizable brands as you develop a platform which interacts with their customers.
- Take on the responsibility of designing, developing, and operating applications that sit at the heart of Medallia’s infrastructure.
- Our CEM platform turns customers feedback into great companies. We capture feedback everywhere customers are, connect the feedback to everything else we know about them, and deliver insights and action in real-time allowing front line employees at the world's biggest brands to make smarter, more informed daily decisions.
MORE SPECIFICALLY, YOU WILL:
- Design, build and operate our next generation, mission critical, interaction platforms that will be used by our clients to engage their customers over automated chatbots, web, and SMS; utilizing open source projects like Cassandra, Kafka and Akka
- Develop reliable, performant, and scalable code for our high-volume system which currently handles millions of interactions per day supporting over 500 global brands
- Develop, test, deploy, monitor, and improve our distributed systems, frameworks, and libraries
- Design/consume REST APIs and create microservices on our next generation service platform
OUR ENGINEERING CULTURE
- We don’t expect to be perfect, but we are always proactively seeking out ways to help ourselves and our teams to minimize pain points within our infrastructure and code base.
- We love technology -- and follow the latest technologies and sharing what we learn.
- We are not afraid of failing when we are experimenting with different technologies, development methodologies, and toolings.
- We build strong relationships with team members around the globe.
- 5+ years of commercial industry experience working on complex back-end distributed systems
- 3+ years of demonstrated experience with Java, C++ or similar object-oriented languages
- Bachelor's Degree
- 1+ years experience with any distributed NoSQL database
- Experience with SOA, designing/creating REST APIs
- Experience with scalable enterprise-grade applications
- Knowledge and experience working on cloud-based software
- Strong Communication Skills
- Academic focus in Computer Science or Engineering
At Medallia, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it and recognize the value it brings to our customers and employees. Medallia is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees. We won't unlawfully discriminate on the basis of gender identity or expression, race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, physical or mental disability, Veteran status, sexual orientation, and any other category protected by law.
Medallia is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities in accordance with the American Disabilities Act and state disability laws.