Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Argentina / Mexico
Kik – Engineering /
MediaLab is a media & technology company focused on acquiring and growing properties and global brands. The organization is a unique combination of private equity, holding company and operating entity. We continue to expand and are proud of the prominent market position of our brands.
Come join an exceptionally talented team of engineers, designers, product and business builders. HQ is located in sunny Santa Monica, California with growing teams in New York, and across cities in the US and Latin America.
Your Role at MediaLab
MediaLab Engineering supports a growing number of applications across multiple business verticals which have been acquired through a careful selection process to integrate with its internal Ad platform that processes billions of impressions a month.
Kik, a legacy product facilitating hundreds of millions of messages every year, is looking for a savvy, experienced Backend Engineer to join their talented team. As a Senior level backend engineer at Kik, you will help design, implement, and maintain a scalable, reliable, and secure DevOps infrastructure aligning with the organization's needs. You will improve existing code while contributing to new features and facilitating in the scalability of this growing product. Your expertise will drive the automation of deployment and monitoring of applications, services, and systems ensuring consistency, reliability, and efficiency.
What You'll Do
- Maintain, improve upon and build the existing code set written in Java
- Write tests for the existing code as well as new features
- Design, implement, and maintain infrastructure as code (IaC) using tools like Terraform, Ansible, and CloudFormation
- Automate the creation of servers, containers, and services using tools like Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, ArgoCD, and GitHub Actions
- Review and critique code to spot potential issues and code lints, debug and track down issues in production systems
- Implementation of security and data protection
What We're Searching For
- 7+ years experience as a professional software engineer
- BS degree in Computer Science or similar technical field of study is preferred but not required
- A passion for implementing best practices and a bias toward smart automation
- Proven ability to collaborate with and mentor other engineers
- Experience building massively distributed systems, or building intuitive, feature-rich user interfaces
- Capable of prioritizing multiple project in order to meet goals without management oversight
- Proficiency in writing code and solving problems in Java
- Previous experience with microservices infrastructure, Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with tools such as Ansible, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes, and Istio
- Experience managing Amazon or GCP infrastructure
- Experience with ETL pipelines, CI/CD, and relevant tools like Jenkins, GitLab, and GitHub Actions
At MediaLab, we rely on a range of backgrounds, experiences, and ideas. We value diversity, and we’re proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity workplace.