Senior Engineering Manager
At Medium, we’re building a platform that gives people a place to share their stories and ideas. To do that, we create simple and beautiful product experiences that prioritize the user experience. We built the best editor on the web using the cutting-edge technologies available at the time, and we’re now creating a stack for the future using modern tooling like React, Jest, and GraphQL.
We prioritize fast iteration without compromising quality, while maintaining an attention to detail that creates the kind of thoughtful interactions we’re known for. We’re looking for a mindful, empathetic, and self-aware Senior Engineering Manager to join our team to help us move thinking forward. With a strong focus on growth and personal development, Medium is the ideal place to develop your skills in an environment that is built on mutual trust and respect.
What will you do?
- You will ship features that will delight our users.
- You will plan and support career development for the members of your team.
- You will inspire and grow engineers through mentorship, empowerment, and by challenging them to do their best work.
- You will partner with product management and design to help set priorities and plan the roadmap for your team.
- You will facilitate technical design discussions, remove blockers and align stakeholders
- You will drive programs in engineering reliability, productivity, process and quality
- You will recruit and retain best-in-class engineering talent to build a diverse high performing team
- You will inspire an atmosphere of continuous improvement by serving as a coach, mentor, and technical advisor.
Who you are?
- You have 5+ years of leading and managing high performance engineering teams
- You have experience running teams in an Agile or Scrum environment
- You are flexible, dedicated, and curious
- You believe in the craft of software engineering, but are pragmatic when necessary.
- You have a passion for mentoring and coaching engineers
- You have a track record of delivering features and functionality on time with high quality
- You have excellent communication skills
Nice to haves
- You have experience with AWS(RDS, SQS, DynamoDB)
- You have experience working in a service-oriented or microservice architecture
- You have deep knowledge of API design principles and best-practices, caching, resiliency, RPC, REST, and HTTP
This role is based in our San Francisco office.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.