At Medium, words still matter.
Medium’s mission is to help people understand their world, while crafting a level playing field that encourages ideas that come from anywhere. That mission hinges on design; we are designing a system that rewards quality in writing; we are designing a service that curious minds will happily pay for; we are designing a sustainable model for writers, thinkers and storytellers to share their work without compromising their integrity; we are designing an experience that readers engage with daily to learn more about the world.
We are growing our design team and we're looking for an art director to join us. This person will will play an instrumental role in fostering the visual expression of the stories we publish every single day. They will be responsible for ensuring that content on Medium looks as good as it reads.
This person should have excellent taste, strong communication skills, impeccable attention to detail, a record of bringing in extraordinary contractors(design, illustration, photography), and a knack for seeking out undiscovered and emerging talent. They will also have experience in web graphic design, ideally for an editorial publication.
What will you do?
- Work closely with design and editorial leadership to shape art direction for Medium’s daily commissioned stories, weekly columnists, and monthly commissioned packages both with in-house designers and freelance artists.
- Tap a rolodex of diverse illustrators, artists, photographers, and designers to collaborate with on projects.
- Attend editorial planning meetings and work across editorial and marketing on special editorial packages.
- Establish, communicate and adhere to deadlines on a daily, weekly, and monthly cadence.
- Set the team up to succeed given time constraints and review schedules needed by editorial. This person deeply understands the rhythms of the Editorial team and plans accordingly.
- Develop Medium’s reputation as a company that supports great art that amplifies great stories, as well as create distinct, identifiable aesthetics for specific verticals.
- Think about art direction not only on a story-by-story basis, but as one part of an overall editorial strategy across Medium’s brand and its emerging sub-brands.
Who you are:
- You thrive on communicating with artists and shepherding the best possible work out of them.
- You’re capable of helping developing new art direction packages as well as expanding on and working within existing directions.
- You have experience in art direction for media/web.
- You can create and stick to a schedule.
- You have a forward-looking sense of what works online.
Sound like you? We'd love to hear from you.
This role is based in New York.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.