Senior Software Engineer - Databases
Remote, United States /
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are a team of less than 100 employees globally, building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
Our team is growing, and we are looking for an experienced Database Architect to play a pivotal role in managing the databases that run both Medium’s website and its mobile applications.
What will you do?
- Work with business stakeholders, product owners, engineers, analysts, and data scientists to design and develop high-quality software and data architectures.
- Take ownership of the overall database system, and build vision and roadmaps for the team.
- Partner with teams across the company to drive reliability, performance, scalability, and observability of the database system.
- Build a tooling chain to help diagnose operational issues and help address high-priority issues as they arise.
- Design, improve and automate processes like database provision, schema migration, capacity planning, etc.
Who are you?
- 5+ years experience working in similar startups
- Deeply understands how to use and optimize AWS DynamoDB and RDS at scale
- Capable of profiling, debugging, and optimizing database calling patterns
- You have backend experience writing production code in Python and/or Golang
- You've managed, maintained, and monitored systems using Amazon Web Services, and Datadog.
- Elasticsearch is a nice-to-have
In addition to the new skills you'll pick up, here's what else you'll enjoy by working at Medium:
- Working with a fully distributed team: we’re totally remote and have teammates across the U.S.
- Generous benefits that support your wellness and professional development
- 100% covered Medical benefits for employees
- Parental Leave & additional Family Support (Cleo)
- Covered sessions for Therapy (Spring Health) and Professional Coaches (Bravely)
- Stipends for Wellness, Learning and your home office/wifi
- Unlimited PTO, Winter Company Break, and standard company holidays
This is a fully remote position and you can be based anywhere within the U.S. The compensation range for this position is between $220,000 - $240,000 per year base salary + equity and benefits, and is dependent on years and depth of experience.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.