Visual Designer, Audience - Freelance
New York, San Francisco,or Remote within the U.S. /
This is a 3 to 6 month commitment with an expectation of 25-35hrs of work per week.
Medium has launched a collection of subscription-based publications that cover a range of subjects with the goal of serving readers, not advertisers.
We are looking for a freelance Designer to drive the visual identities of these publications on our social channels. Most immediately, you’ll support ZORA (a publication by and for Women of Color), LEVEL (a publication by and for Black and brown men), GEN (a publication focused on politics), as well as our main Medium social platform accounts. In the near future, this support may extend to our other publications, OneZero (technology), Elemental (health), Forge (personal development), and Marker (business and entrepreneurship).
This role is for you if you have outstanding taste and vision, creating original, forward-thinking design for a diverse range of topics and stories. We’re looking for a mobile-first and versatile individual who can think creatively about how stories can be told visually. Originality and a creative, can-do approach toward problem-solving are a must.
The ideal candidate has experience working with Audience Development and Editorial teams; executing projects independently; and collaborating with multiple stakeholders.This person must be comfortable in a fast-paced, digital startup culture and be ready to get hands-on (and have fun!) helping to grow something new.
What You'll Do
- Provide arresting, original, and expressive social content that jumps out of readers’ feeds.
- Work independently and in coordination with Audience Development and Editorial Design teams to deliver work with timeliness and pixel-perfection front of mind.
- Develop collections of design templates to be utilized by the audience team, to be refreshed and updated as needed, within brand guidelines.
- Create social assets in-house, from a wide range of sources/topics.
- Contribute multi-disciplinary expertise in one or more of the following areas: Motion Graphics, Animation, Video editing/ Production.
- Bring good ideas and mindfulness to work
Who You Are
- You have a minimum of 2 years of visual design experience, preferably in an editorial context.
- You are mobile-first in your design thinking and process.
- You are passionate about layout and typography - particularly as it relates to mobile and social platform presentations.
- You have a portfolio that leans toward social platform work, and demonstrates an eye for storytelling, concept, composition, color and typography.
- You have experience producing, editing and designing for video.
- You are proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop and Illustrator).
- You are versatile and comfortable working independently in a start-up environment, where speed, flexibility and experimentation are part of the day-to-day culture.
- You are a positive, straightforward, and effective communicator.
- You are solutions-oriented and can communicate complex visual ideas with clarity - individually and within a group setting.
- You like working with a team and can help improve other people’s ideas through collaboration and brainstorming.
- You believe that good ideas can come from anywhere.
- You embrace excellence.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer. This is fully remote and can be based anywhere within the U.S.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.