Senior Backend Engineer - Recommendations
New York, San Francisco,or Remote within the U.S. /
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas. To do that, we create simple and beautiful product experiences that prioritize the user experience.
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer that will work on building advanced recommendation systems that help users to navigate the vast library of quality content on Medium. As an engineer on the recommendations team, you'll work closely with PMs and ML engineers to create the best version of Medium for every user.
What will you do
- Work on a large-scale recommendation system that uses machine learning in its core.
- Design and build scalable and performant backend services. (We use primarily Golang and Python).
- Create data pipelines and high performance online serving infrastructure.
- Design end to end experiments that optimize for reader satisfaction.
Who are you?
- You have proven experience building server-side software.
- You believe in the craft of software engineering, but are pragmatic with engineering tradeoffs.
- You are passionate about using technology to help Medium readers discover the most relevant content.
- You have familiar with services architecture and understand its trade-offs.
- You have experience with AWS, Kafka, Redis, and relational database systems.
We'd particularly love it if
- You have built services that serve a significant amount of traffic.
- You are proficient in Golang, Python, and/or Spark.
- You've worked on production machine learning systems at scale in search, ranking, recommendations, and/or natural language processing.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet ambitious team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.