Remote, United States /
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
We’re looking for a Senior Accountant to join our team. In this role, you will own processes such as sales tax implementation and maintenance, revenue recognition for our existing and new business lines, and you will act as the liaison for tax filings with external CPAs. These functions play a vital role for our Accounting team: your role will be essential to our success this year, and you can expect to have a meaningful impact here.
In this role, you'll focus on the following:
- You will be responsible for gleaning all knowledge of sales tax obligations and taking the lead on maintaining it, including but not limited to: working with outside tax partners to determine risk, providing recommendations to executives, implementing a sales tax process for collection and remission, and working with all stakeholders to build the tax element into our product.
- In partnership with our User Happiness team, you will help triage all customer service tickets
- You will draft and circulate process documents to educate and inform both your immediate team and the wider company
- In partnership with our Accounting Manager, you will lead supporting document preparation for external CPAs
- You will handle tax payments with Accounts Payable team and proper GL entries
- You will explore tax credits
- You will assist our Accounting Manager with monthly revenue recognition for our monthly subscription business line; this will include monthly journal entries, verifying the accuracy of the data, and documenting process improvements and changes
- You will work with external partners to implement a new cash module to create efficiencies in the revenue recognition process
- You will work closely with the Accounting Manager to implement and create processes regarding new business lines, including international revenue
Who are you?
- You have a BS or BA in Accounting, and a minimum of 5 years of experience in the Accounting field
- You have tax experience and strong skills using Excel and Netsuite ERP
- You have experience working in a fast paced, start-up environment; You bring creative solutions to the table, and never hesitate to support the rest of your team
- You believe in operational excellence, take pride in being detail oriented, and always have an eye out for where the team can make operational improvements
This is a remote opportunity, and you can be based anywhere within the U.S.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.