Senior Legal Counsel - Product & Privacy
San Francisco, NY or Remote within the U.S. /
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
Our Legal team is growing, and we’re looking for a senior lawyer to join us and focus on Product and Privacy counsel. You will support our cross-functional Product teams, enabling them to do their best work and serve our wider community well by incorporating privacy considerations into the products we are building.
What will you do?
- Lead the development, implementation and maintenance of Medium’s privacy strategy in accordance with applicable privacy laws and regulations, including the California Consumer Privacy Act and the General Data Protection Regulation.
- Advise cross-functional business partners on privacy matters concerning product development and strategy, marketing, data use and governance, and risk.
- Drive awareness on privacy and security issues with the development of training and guidelines that help business stakeholders understand and address data protection and privacy issues as they emerge in development of new products and technologies.
- Analyze data flows and assist with records of processing activities, privacy impact assessments, and other privacy-focused deliverables.
- Review/draft a variety of agreements to ensure compliance with privacy-related contract terms.
- Partner with and manage outside counsel.
- Remain at the forefront of the evolving regulatory landscape by staying up to date with best practices and legislative and regulatory developments.
- Think ahead, see around corners, and help to prepare for legal issues that may arise in the future.
Who are you?
- You have subject matter expertise in global privacy laws and regulations, including the California Consumer Privacy Act and the General Data Protection Regulation.
- You’re familiar with a wide-variety of legal issues affecting Internet platforms and tech media spaces.
- You’re able to provide clear, concise legal advice and to work well cross-functionally(with lawyers and non-lawyers alike) to drive to results, particularly with engineering, product, and marketing teams.
- You have strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills and are a cooperative team player.
- You take initiative, work independently, make decisions based on incomplete information, own the results, and figure out how to do better next time; you’re practical, resilient, and low ego.
- JD required, admitted to practice in at least one U.S. jurisdiction.
- 6+ years relevant legal experience at a top law firm or in-house legal department, preferably with experience at a fast-growing startup.
- This role will report to Medium’s General Counsel.
- We are currently open to candidates that are looking to work remotely in the United States or flexibly near one of our offices in New York City or San Francisco.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.
Please note that communication regarding your application, interviews, and job offers will only come from e-mail addresses ending in"@medium.com". Anything else is not a legitimate outreach.