Features Editor, Elemental
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
Medium is expanding its editorial team. We are looking for an excellent, experienced features editor for Elemental, our publication focused on science-backed health and wellness.
You will conceive, assign, and edit ambitious features, essays, and columns—our “cover stories.” You will also write features when appropriate, using your strong writing and reporting skills to help define our publication’s identity.
This is a role for an ideas person who is a highly creative thinker and storyteller, endlessly curious about health and its related fields, and who is versatile enough to produce standout coverage across diverse topic areas, from nutrition and fitness to neuroscience and psychedelics. You have exquisite taste and an instinctive feel for what’s in the zeitgeist. You are confident working with writers at the top of their game, and are ready to get your hands dirty (and have fun!) writing stories yourself. You also know the competitive landscape of health and wellness publications, have great ideas about how to stand apart, and offer coverage that’s well-reported, thoughtful, and makes readers smarter.
Medium isn’t where readers will find aggregation or “study of the day” write-ups. Instead, we’re looking for stories that will reach and resonate with a broad audience, one that’s interested in enjoying their healthiest life, and wants reliable, nuanced coverage on how to do it.
What will you do?
- Conceive, assign, and edit several stories per week—of various lengths and formats, on a wide range of subjects in the health and wellness sectors
- Conceive and write features regularly, when it makes more sense to keep them in-house
- Bring in established writers while also identifying outstanding emerging voices who should be writing for us
- Work mostly with freelance writers, but also sometimes with authors and non-journalists from academia, medicine, and public life
- Pitch and help develop ambitious projects to raise Elemental’s profile
- Work closely with colleagues across our digital newsroom to deliver high-impact collaborative projects and themed packages
- Collaborate with Elemental colleagues to make sure all of our story ideas are sharp
- Bring new ideas to work every single day, and to every story-planning meeting
Who are you?
- You have 7+ years of editing and writing experience, at least some in health-focused journalism
- You are comfortable working in a startup environment, where speed, flexibility and experimentation are part of the day-to-day
- You have a track record of creating breakthrough, conversation-starting, reported and idea-based features
- You are passionate and curious about everything related to health and wellness and like to get into the nitty-gritty details of the science
- You love to dream up new ways to tell a story
- You are a stickler for accuracy and clarity in explaining medical research to the layperson
- You have a great writerly voice and strong reporting skills
- You have a stable of writers as well as the ability to identify and solicit extraordinary writers who are not yet known
- You have exceptional people skills, love working with writers, and can juggle multiple tasks and assignments
- You are always looking for a fresh way into the big conversations of the day; you don’t want the story that has already been done, or that everyone will do
- You engage with the process of packaging stories and projects for maximum impact—from headline to art to SEO optimization and social strategy
- You’re a great teammate and you’ll work with colleagues and leadership across departments to make us better
- You’re a straightforward and effective communicator
Sound like you? We'd love to hear from you.
This role is based in New York or San Francisco.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.