Senior Software Engineer - Security
Remote, United States /
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are a team of less than 100 employees globally, building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
Our team is growing, and we are looking for an experienced Security Engineer to play a pivotal role in implementing security measures that safeguard both Medium’s website and mobile applications.
What will you do?
- Engineer, implement, and monitor security measures for the protection of computer systems, networks, and information.
- Act as a liaison for multiple stakeholders across product, engineering, go-to-market, and security ops/compliance, to guide and prioritize the right security investments.
- Prepare and document standard operating procedures and protocols.
- Develop technical solutions and new security tools to help mitigate security vulnerabilities and automate repeatable tasks.
- Participate in security assessments, and code audits, and advise on both internal and customer security needs.
Who are you?
- 5 + years of work experience as a System Security Engineer or Information Security Engineer.
- 3+ years of experience using Python
- Experience in building and maintaining security systems.
- Detailed technical knowledge of database and operating system security.
- Hands-on experience in security systems, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, authentication systems, log management, content filtering, etc.
- Thorough understanding of the latest security principles, techniques, and protocols.
- Familiarity with web-related technologies (Web applications, Web services, Service Oriented Architectures) and network/web-related protocols.
- Problem-solving skills and ability to work under pressure.
- BS degree in Computer Science or related field.
In addition to the new skills you'll pick up, here's what else you'll enjoy by working at Medium:
- Working with a fully distributed team: we’re totally remote and have teammates across the U.S.
- Generous benefits that support your wellness and professional development
- 100% covered Medical benefits for employees
- Parental Leave & additional Family Support (Cleo)
- Covered sessions for Therapy (Spring Health) and Professional Coaches (Bravely)
- Stipends for Wellness, Learning and your home office/wifi
- Unlimited PTO, Winter Company Break, and standard company holidays
This is a fully remote position and you can be based anywhere within the U.S. The compensation range for this position is between $220,000 - $240,000 per year base salary + equity and benefits, and is dependent on years and depth of experience.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun, and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal-opportunity employer.