Principal Android Engineer
Los Angeles /
Engineering – Mobile /
Note to applicants: remote in the US is ok, except Colorado
Who we are
Albert is a new type of financial service that uses powerful technology to automate your finances, with a team of human experts to guide you. Albert saves and invests automatically for you, helps you avoid overdrafts, finds savings you’re missing, identifies bills you’re overpaying, and much more. Text Albert a financial question, and our geniuses won’t just offer guidance — they’ll help you take action.
We're an LA-based startup with a proven business model, backed by top-tier institutional investors and with nearly 6 million users who have trusted Albert to help them achieve their financial goals. We're on a mission to democratize money management through our simple, beautifully designed product, and we're looking for thoughtful, talented people to join us on our journey.
About the role
Albert's Android app has been live on Google Play for over two years and consistently ranks as one of the top apps in the finance section of Google Play. Over the next year, Albert will be launching multiple new services and products, and we're looking for someone to join our growing mobile team and help build beautifully crafted products.
Things you're good at
- Shipping: Delivering great products that you're proud of on a regular basis.
- Product: An eye for design and UX with an amazing attention to detail.
- Quality: From code quality to automated testing you’re always striving to keep quality high.
- Technical depth: You have deep experience and knowledge of the Android ecosystem, including design and architectural patterns and best practices, that helps us move our codebase and the team forward.
- Technical leadership: Leading feature development as well as architectural and process improvement projects across the Android team.
- Efficiency: Driving engineering best practices to increase velocity and productivity.
- Coaching: improving skill levels across the team by setting standards on engineering excellence and promoting continuous learning.
- Lead delivery of new features.
- Write clean, well tested and modular code that requires minimal QA.
- Collaborate with product managers and backend engineers on building new features.
- Influence key decisions on architecture and implementation of scalable and reliable engineering solutions.
- Improve our tech stack, tools, and processes.
- Act as a Technical Leader for the Android team, improving the overall skills and knowledge of the team.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 6+ years of experience writing production Android software
- 2+ years of experience developing with Kotlin (our app is built in Kotlin)
- Strong product sense with a keen eye for UX and design
- A quality mindset
- Bonus: familiarity with Python
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Health, vision and dental insurance
- Daily meals provided
- Monthly wellness stipend
- 401k match
Job Applicants California Privacy Notice
This California Privacy Notice applies to personal information of California job applicants that Albert collects and processes as it relates to the submission of a job application.